Cross-Border Mergers and National Champions in an Integrating Economy
We introduce a simple oligopolistic trade model with international transportation costs, and analyze the profitability and the social desirability of national vs. international mergers in relation to three different issues, (i) the level of trade freeness, (ii) the possibility of rent appropriation on world markets, and (iii) direct “synergy” effects of mergers. Cross-border M&A is privately and socially more attractive than domestic mergers. National competition policy may be too permissive towards M&A, because it does not take into account the negative impact of decreasing competition on world consumer surplus. We also discuss the normative implications of “national champions”. The promotion of national mergers can be in the interest of individual countries if rent extraction possibilities are strong enough, but global welfare is adversely affected.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2006|
|Publication status:||published in: Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 2008, 164 (3), 477-508|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horn, H. & Levinsohn, J., 1998.
"Merger Policies and Trade Liberalization,"
420, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Haufler, Andreas & Nielsen, Søren Bo, 2008.
"Merger policy to promote ’global players’? A simple model,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20406, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Haufler & Søren Bo Nielsen, 2008. "Merger policy to promote 'global players'? A simple model," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 517-545, July.
- Andreas Haufler & Søren Bo Nielsen, 2005. "Merger Policy to Promote ‘Global Players’? A Simple Model," CESifo Working Paper Series 1523, CESifo Group Munich.
- Haufler, Andreas & Nielsen, Søren Bo, 2005. "Merger Policy to Promote Global Players? A Simple Model," Discussion Papers in Economics 666, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Collie, David R., 2000. "State aid in the European Union: The prohibition of subsidies in an integrated market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 867-884, August.
- Keith Head & John Ries, 1997. "International Mergers and Welfare under Decentralized Competition Policy," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(4), pages 1104-1123, November.
- James Brander, 1980.
"Intra-Industry Trade in Identical Commodities,"
380, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Barros, Pedro P. & Cabral, Luis, 1994. "Merger policy in open economies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 1041-1055, May.
- Keith Chapman, 2003. "Cross-border mergers/acquisitions: a review and research agenda," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(3), pages 309-334, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp2220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.