Central finances in India: Alternative to procrustean fiscal correction
This paper examines the trends in central finances over a threedecadal period beginning from the 1970s. It is found that there is lack of buoyancy in all the major sources of revenue of the Central Government. This calls for devising new methods of revenue mobilisation. There are political economic limits to the premise that direct taxes with its simplified rate structure and administrative reforms will make good the losses from the cuts in customs duty revenue. The analysis of the issues involved would require an examination of the influence of dominant classes on the state. Very recently however, the thrust of the tax reform seems to be on introduction of a Central Value Added Tax (VAT). Total expenditure of the Central Government as a proportion of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) has not increased during the 1990s when compared to the 1980s. But the composition of expenditure has shifted more towards revenue expenditure. An emphasis on expenditure allocation with targetting at a detailed level and innovative tax reforms aimed at more revenue mobilisation are necessary to achieve qualitative fiscal correction, But this is often stymied for political economic reasons. Procrustean fiscal correction aiming merely at deficit targeting is not a very desirable method. The study finds that the main problem in achieving fiscal consolidation at the Central level is falling revenue and tax receipts during the 1990s.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +91 471 2448 881
Fax: +91 471 2447 137
Web page: http://www.cds.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ram, Rati, 1986. "Government Size and Economic Growth: A New Framework and Some Evidencefrom Cross-Section and Time-Series Data," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 191-203, March.
- Joel Slemrod, 1995. "Involvement, Prosperity, and Economic Growth?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 26(2), pages 373-431.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2002.
"Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 571-589, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 7207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 504, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio & Perotti, Roberto & Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto, 2002. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 4685103, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Ardagna, Silvia & Perotti, Roberto & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits and Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 2250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Robert J. Barro, 1998.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522543, June.
- Robert J. Barro, 1996. "Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," NBER Working Papers 5698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feder, Gershon, 1983. "On exports and economic growth," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-2), pages 59-73.
- repec:hrv:faseco:3353756 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ind:cdswpp:365. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.