Ethnicity and Human Capital Accumulation in Urban Mexico
This study analyzes social mobility and human capital accumulation among ethnic minorities in Mexican urban areas, exploring changes in educational attainment and labor market status and using panel data from the Mexican Family Life Survey (MFxLS). The results indicate important ethnic differences in human capital accumulation patterns, especially in education, where non-indigenous individuals seem to accumulate human capital more rapidly than individuals of indigenous descent. Also, key socio-demographic characteristics linked to those patterns of human capital accumulation seem to differ between indigenous and non-indigenous individuals. In particular, for indigenous peoples in urban areas, human capital accumulation and wealth accumulation seem to work as substitutes rather than complements in the short run.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borjas, George J, 1992.
"Ethnic Capital and Intergenerational Mobility,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(1), pages 123-50, February.
- Bando, Rosangela & López-Calva, Luis F., 2005. "Conditional cash transfers and indigenous people?s health: Is there a differential impact of Progresa between indigenous and non-indigenous households?," EGAP Working Papers 2006-02, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
- Casey, Teresa & Dustmann, Christian, 2007.
"Intergenerational Transmission of Language Capital and Economic Outcomes,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3074, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Teresa Casey & Christian Dustmann, 2008. "Intergenerational Transmission of Language Capital and Economic Outcomes," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(3), pages 4660-687.
- Teresa Casey & Christian Dustmann, 2005. "Intergenerational transmission of language capital and economic outcomes," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0506, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- Jere R. Behrman & Alejandro Gaviria & Miguel Székely, 2001.
"Intergenerational Mobility in Latin America,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6485, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Jere R. Behrman & Alejandro Gaviria & Miguel Székely, 2001. "Intergenerational Mobility in Latin America," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, August.
- Jere R. Behrman & Alejandro Gaviria & Miguel Székely, 2001. "Intergenerational Mobility in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4267, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Jere R. Behrman & Alejandro Gaviria Uribe & Miguel Székely, 2001. "Intergenerational mobility in Latin America," INFORMES DE INVESTIGACIÓN 002914, FEDESARROLLO.
- Ferreira , Francisco H. G. & Gignoux, Jeremie, 2008.
"The measurement of inequality of opportunity : theory and an application to Latin America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4659, The World Bank.
- Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Jérémie Gignoux, 2011. "The Measurement Of Inequality Of Opportunity: Theory And An Application To Latin America," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(4), pages 622-657, December.
- Suzanne Duryea & Sebastián Galiani & Claudia Piras & Hugo R. Ñopo, 2007.
"The Educational Gender Gap in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6721, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Suzanne Duryea & Sebastian Galiani & Hugo Ñopo & Claudia Piras, 2007. "The Educational Gender Gap in Latin America and the Caribbean," Research Department Publications 4510, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Anna Christina D'Addio, 2007. "Intergenerational Transmission of Disadvantage: Mobility or Immobility Across Generations?," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 52, OECD Publishing.
- Patrinos, Harry Anthony & Skoufias, Emmanuel & Lunde, Trine, 2007. "Indigenous peoples in Latin America : economic opportunities and social networks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4227, The World Bank.
- Platt, Lucinda, 2003. "The intergenerational social mobility of minority ethnic groups," ISER Working Paper Series 2003-24, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Raquel Bernal & Mauricio Cárdenas Santa María, 2005. "Race and ethnic inequality in health and health care in Colombia," WORKING PAPERS SERIES. DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 003413, FEDESARROLLO.
- Carmen Elisa Flórez & Rocio Ribero & Belen Samper, 2003. "Health, Nutrition, Human Capital And Economic Growth In Colombia 1995-2000," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 002785, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Alberto Chong & Hugo Ñopo, 2008. "The Mystery of Discrimination in Latin America," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, January.
- John Ermisch & Marco Francesconi & Thomas Siedler, 2006. "Intergenerational Mobility and Marital Sorting," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(513), pages 659-679, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:brikps:6755. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.