A Note on Estimating Realignment Probabilities -- A First-Passage-Time Approach
This paper proposes a path-dependent approach for estimating realignment probabilities of targeted exchange rates based on first-passage-time distributions instead of the commonly used path-independent approach. We consider that path dependency is an intrinsic characteristic of realignment risk because a realignment of an exchange rate can occur whenever a committed band by a central bank is breached. A mean-reverting lognormal process is considered in the first-passage-time approach. Based on market data of the British pound and mark during the ERM crisis of 1992, the realignment probabilities of the pound estimated under the proposed approach show that path dependency is quantitatively significant, compared with the path-independent approach.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 55th Floor, Two International Finance Centre, 8 Finance Street, Central|
Web page: http://www.info.gov.hk/hkma/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fred G M C Nieuwland & Willem F C Verschoor & Christian C P Wolff, 1990. "EMS Exchange Rates," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0002, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Malz, Allan M., 1996. "Using option prices to estimate realignment probabilities in the European Monetary System: the case of sterling-mark," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 717-748, October.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1991. "Target Zones and Exchange Rate Dynamics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(3), pages 669-682.
- Angelos Kanas, 1998. "Testing for a unit root in ERM exchange rates in the presence of structural breaks: evidence from the bootstrap," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(7), pages 407-410.
- Ball, Clifford A. & Torous, Walter N., 1983. "A Simplified Jump Process for Common Stock Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 53-65, March.
- Ball, Clifford A. & Roma, Antonio, 1993. "A jump diffusion model for the European monetary system," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 475-492, October.
- Campa, Jose Manuel & Chang, P H Kevin, 1996.
"Arbitrage-Based Tests of Target-Zone Credibility: Evidence from ERM Cross-Rate Options,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 726-740, September.
- Campa, J.M. & Chang, P.H.K., 1995. "Arbitrage-Based Tests of Target Zone Credibility: Evidence from ERM Cross-Rate Options," Papers 95-25, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Anthony, Myrvin & MacDonald, Ronald, 1999. "The width of the band and exchange rate mean-reversion: some further ERM-based results," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 411-428.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1991.
"Assessing Target Zone Credibility: Mean Reversion and Devaluation Expectations in the ERM 1979-1992,"
NBER Working Papers
3795, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1993. "Assessing target zone credibility : Mean reversion and devaluation expectations in the ERM, 1979-1992," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 763-793, May.
- Clifford Ball & Antonio Roma, 1998. "Detecting mean reversion within reflecting barriers: application to the European Exchange Rate Mechanism," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 1-15.
- Bates, David S., 1996. "Dollar jump fears, 1984-1992: distributional abnormalities implicit in currency futures options," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 65-93, February.
- Ball, Clifford A. & Roma, Antonio, 1994. "Target zone modelling and estimation for European Monetary System exchange rates," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(3-4), pages 385-420, July.
- Ball, Clifford A & Torous, Walter N, 1985. " On Jumps in Common Stock Prices and Their Impact on Call Option Pricing," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 155-173, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hkg:wpaper:0809. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Chan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.