Identification of Barriers in International Trade under Imperfect Competition
The paper provides a means of estimating, with a given parameter of conjectural variation, international trade barriers under imperfect competition from data on market shares of different countries and producers in various markets, number of exporting firms and elasticities of demand. The method circumvents explicit specification of the production cost function. Both the cases of a homogeneous good and an industry with firms producing imperfect substitutes for each other are considered. Numerical illustrations on the barrier estimates between the EC and EFTA are also carried out.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J., 1988.
"Completing the internal market in the European Community : Some industry simulations,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1501-1525, September.
- Smith, Alasdair & Venables, Anthony J, 1988. "Completing the Internal Market in the European Community: Some Industry Simulations," CEPR Discussion Papers 233, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1984. "International Trade Policy for Oligopolistic Industries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(376a), pages 1-16, Supplemen.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1990.
"International capacity choice and national market games,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 23-42, August.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1988. "International Capacity Choice and National Market Games," CEPR Discussion Papers 277, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1987. "Customs union and tariff reform under imperfect competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 103-110.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0283. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.