Empirical analysis of moral hazard: a study of a vehicle insurance tax reform
This paper uses discrete choice and count data models to analyze the effects of a tax on vehicle insurance levied in Sweden in 2007. The analysis is based on a large set of micro-level panel data on individual insurance holders at the largest insurance company in Sweden for the period 2006-2010. Two questions are addressed: How did the tax reform influence the choice of insurance coverage, and how did changes in coverage affect the incidence of claims? The results show that, on average, the tax reform increased the odds of choosing lower insurance coverage by 47 percent, and that the tax reform had more impact on older drivers. However, switching to lower coverage due to the tax reform has not resulted in significant changes in claim distributions, though the incidence of claims decreased by 20 percent for switchers aged 35-44 in the pre-reform period, indicating a mitigation of ex ante moral hazard in vehicle insurance.
|Date of creation:||19 Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centrum för Transportstudier (CTS), Teknikringen 10, 100 44 Stockholm, Sweden|
Web page: http://www.cts.kth.se/
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-270, July.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Dionne, Georges & Gagne, Robert, 2002.
"Replacement Cost Endorsement and Opportunistic Fraud in Automobile Insurance,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 213-30, May.
- Dionne, G. & Gagne, R., 2000. "Replacement Cost Endorsement and Opportunitic Fraud in Automobile Insurance," Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal- 00-01, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales de Montreal-Chaire de gestion des risques..
- G. Dionne & R. Gagné, 2000. "Replacement Cost Endorsement and Opportunistic Fraud in Automobile Insurance," THEMA Working Papers 2000-06, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Kuniyoshi Saito, 2006. "Testing for Asymmetric Information in the Automobile Insurance Market Under Rate Regulation," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(2), pages 335-356.
- Georges Dionne & Christian Gourieroux & Charles Vanasse, 1997. "The Informational Content of Household Decisions," Working Papers 97-01, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Georges Dionne & Pierre-Carl Michaud & Maki Dahchour, 2004.
"Separating Moral Hazard from Adverse Selection in Automobile Insurance: Longitudinal Evidence from France,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Dionne, G. & Michaud, P.C. & Dahchour, M., 2004. "Separating Moral Hazard from Adverse Selection in Automobile Insurance : Longitudinal Evidence from France," Discussion Paper 2004-79, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Pierre-Andre Chiappori, 2004.
"Moral Hazard and Dynamic Insurance Data,"
2004 Meeting Papers
316, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Chu-Shiu Li & Chwen-Chi Liu & Jia-Hsing Yeh, 2007. "The Incentive Effects of Increasing Per-Claim Deductible Contracts in Automobile Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(2), pages 441-459.
- Jean Pinquet & Jaap Abbring & Pierre-André Chiappori, 2003.
"Moral Hazard and Dynamic Insurance Data,"
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ctswps:2013_014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mats Berggren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.