Lognormal Approximation of Complex Path-dependent Pension Scheme Payoffs
This paper analyzes an explicit return smoothing mechanism which has recently been introduced as part of a new type of pension savings contract that has been offered by Danish life insurers. We establish the payoff function implied by the return smoothing mechanism and show that its probabilistic properties are accurately approximated by a suitably adapted lognormal distribution. The quality of the lognormal approximation is explored via a range of simulation based numerical experiments, and we point to several other potential practical applications of the paper’s theoretical results.
|Date of creation:||21 Nov 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The Aarhus School of Business, Fuglesangs Allé 4, DK-8210 Aarhus V, Denmark|
Fax: + 45 86 15 19 43
Web page: http://www.asb.dk/about/departments/bs.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyle, Phelim P. & Hardy, Mary R., 1997. "Reserving for maturity guarantees: Two approaches," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 113-127, November.
- Asbjørn T. Hansen & Peter Løchte Jørgensen, 2000. "Analytical Valuation of American-Style Asian Options," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1116-1136, August.
- Grosen, Anders & J Rgensen, Peter L Chte, 2002. "The bonus-crediting mechanism of Danish pension and life insurance companies: an empirical analysis," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 249-268, November.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Guillen, Montserrat & Jorgensen, Peter Lochte & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2006. "Return smoothing mechanisms in life and pension insurance: Path-dependent contingent claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 229-252, April.
- Dhaene, J. & Denuit, M. & Goovaerts, M. J. & Kaas, R. & Vyncke, D., 2002. "The concept of comonotonicity in actuarial science and finance: theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-33, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhb:aarbfi:2006-09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.