Reinsurance, ruin and solvency issues: some pitfalls
In this paper, we consider optimal reinsurance from an insurer's point of view. Given a (low) ruin probability target, insurers want to find the optimal risk transfer mechanism, i.e. either a proportional or a nonproportional reinsurance treaty. Since it is usually admitted that reinsurance should lower ruin probabilities, it should be easy to derive an efficient Monte Carlo algorithm to link ruin probability and reinsurance parameter. Unfortunately, if it is possible for proportional reinsurance, this is no longer the case in nonproportional reinsurance. Some examples where reinsurance might increase ruin probabilities are given at the end, when claim arrival and claim size are not independent.
|Date of creation:||12 Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00463381|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gyllenberg, Mats & S. Silvestrov, Dmitrii, 2000. "Cramer-Lundberg approximation for nonlinearly perturbed risk processes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 75-90, February.
- Dickson, David C. M. & Waters, Howard R., 1996. "Reinsurance and ruin," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 61-80, December.
- Malinovskii, Vsevolod K., 1998. "Non-Poissonian claims' arrivals and calculation of the probability of ruin," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 123-138, June.
- Centeno, Lourdes, 1986. "Measuring the effects of reinsurance by the adjustment coefficient," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 169-182, April.
- Dickson,David C. M., 2005. "Insurance Risk and Ruin," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521846400, November.
- Albrecher, Hansjorg & Boxma, Onno J., 2004. "A ruin model with dependence between claim sizes and claim intervals," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 245-254, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00463381. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.