Le Comportement Myopique D'Investissement En R&D : Une Realite En France ?
The aim of this research is to determine the extent to which French managers assume a myopic investment behavior in R&D; defined as the intentional adjustment of long-term investment in order to achieve short-term earnings targets. Therefore, this research raises the question: to what extent the decrease of accounting discretion in R&D asset recognition (upon adoption of IFRS) influence the real earnings management based on the R&D investment? The results show that managers intentionally decrease R&D investments to achieve earnings profits and to a lesser extent last year's earnings level. The R&D investment's reduction in order to achieve profits is slightly exacerbated under the IFRS.
|Date of creation:||21 May 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in Comptabilités et innovation, May 2012, Grenoble, France. pp.cd-rom, 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00690955|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael E. Porter, 1992. "Capital Choices: Changing The Way America Invests In Industry," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 5(2), pages 4-16.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Anne Cazavan-Jeny & Thomas Jeanjean, 2005.
"Pertinence de l’inscription à l’actif des frais de R&D : une étude empirique,"
Comptabilité - Contrôle - Audit,
Association francophone de comptabilité, vol. 11(1), pages 5-21.
- Anne Cazavan-Jeny & Thomas Jeanjean, 2004. "Pertinence de l'inscription à l'actif des frais de R1D : une étude empirique," Post-Print halshs-00593826, HAL.
- Yuan Ding & Hervé Stolowy & Michel Tenenhaus, 2004. "Les déterminants de la stratégie de « capitalisation » des frais de recherche et développement en France," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 7(4), pages 87-106, December.
- repec:bla:joares:v:36:y:1998:i::p:161-191 is not listed on IDEAS
- Beatriz Garcia Osma & Steven Young, 2009. "R&D Expenditure and Earnings Targets," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 7-32.
- Dennis R. Oswald, 2008. "The Determinants and Value Relevance of the Choice of Accounting for Research and Development Expenditures in the United Kingdom," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1-2), pages 1-24.
- Cazavan-Jeny, Anne & Jeanjean, Thomas & Joos, Peter, 2011. "Accounting choice and future performance: The case of R&D accounting in France," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 145-165, March.
- Paul M. Healy, 2002. "R&D Accounting and the Tradeoff Between Relevance and Objectivity," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 677-710, 06.
- Burgstahler, David & Dichev, Ilia, 1997. "Earnings management to avoid earnings decreases and losses," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 99-126, December.
- Anne Cazavan-Jeny & Thomas Jeanjean, 2006. "The negative impact of R&D capitalization: A value relevance approach," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 37-61.
- Thomas Jeanjean & Anne Cazavan-Jeny, 2006. "The negative impact of R&D capitalization: a valuerelevance approach," Post-Print halshs-00009851, HAL.
- Degeorge, Francois & Patel, Jayendu & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1999. "Earnings Management to Exceed Thresholds," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(1), pages 1-33, January.
- François Degeorge & Jayendu Patel & Richard Zeckhauser, 1997. "Earnings Management to Exceed Thresholds," Working Papers hal-00605613, HAL.
- Degeorge, François & Patel, U & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1998. "Earnings Management to Exceed Thresholds," CEPR Discussion Papers 1790, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bange, Mary M. & De Bondt, Werner F. M., 1998. "R&D budgets and corporate earnings targets," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 153-184, June.
- Markarian, Garen & Pozza, Lorenzo & Prencipe, Annalisa, 2008. "Capitalization of R&D costs and earnings management: Evidence from Italian listed companies," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 246-267, September.
- Lev, Baruch & Sougiannis, Theodore, 1996. "The capitalization, amortization, and value-relevance of R&D," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 107-138, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00690955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.