Le Comportement Myopique D'Investissement En R&D : Une Realite En France ?
The aim of this research is to determine the extent to which French managers assume a myopic investment behavior in R&D; defined as the intentional adjustment of long-term investment in order to achieve short-term earnings targets. Therefore, this research raises the question: to what extent the decrease of accounting discretion in R&D asset recognition (upon adoption of IFRS) influence the real earnings management based on the R&D investment? The results show that managers intentionally decrease R&D investments to achieve earnings profits and to a lesser extent last year's earnings level. The R&D investment's reduction in order to achieve profits is slightly exacerbated under the IFRS.
|Date of creation:||21 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Comptabilités et innovation, May 2012, Grenoble, France. pp.cd-rom, 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00690955|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cazavan-Jeny, Anne & Jeanjean, Thomas & Joos, Peter, 2011. "Accounting choice and future performance: The case of R&D accounting in France," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 145-165, March.
- Degeorge, Francois & Patel, Jayendu & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1999.
"Earnings Management to Exceed Thresholds,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(1), pages 1-33, January.
- Michael E. Porter, 1992. "Capital Choices: Changing The Way America Invests In Industry," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 5(2), pages 4-16.
- Dennis R. Oswald, 2008. "The Determinants and Value Relevance of the Choice of Accounting for Research and Development Expenditures in the United Kingdom," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(1-2), pages 1-24.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Anne Cazavan-Jeny & Thomas Jeanjean, 2006. "The negative impact of R&D capitalization: A value relevance approach," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 37-61.
- Bange, Mary M. & De Bondt, Werner F. M., 1998. "R&D budgets and corporate earnings targets," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 153-184, June.
- Burgstahler, David & Dichev, Ilia, 1997. "Earnings management to avoid earnings decreases and losses," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 99-126, December.
- Beatriz Garcia Osma & Steven Young, 2009. "R&D Expenditure and Earnings Targets," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 7-32.
- Markarian, Garen & Pozza, Lorenzo & Prencipe, Annalisa, 2008. "Capitalization of R&D costs and earnings management: Evidence from Italian listed companies," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 246-267, September.
- Anne Cazavan-Jeny & Thomas Jeanjean, 2004. "Pertinence de l'inscription à l'actif des frais de R1D : une étude empirique," Post-Print halshs-00593826, HAL.
- Yuan Ding & Hervé Stolowy & Michel Tenenhaus, 2004. "Les déterminants de la stratégie de « capitalisation » des frais de recherche et développement en France," Revue Finance Contrôle Stratégie, revues.org, vol. 7(4), pages 87-106, December.
- Lev, Baruch & Sougiannis, Theodore, 1996. "The capitalization, amortization, and value-relevance of R&D," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 107-138, February.
- Paul M. Healy, 2002. "R&D Accounting and the Tradeoff Between Relevance and Objectivity," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 677-710, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00690955. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.