Productivity Levels in Transport, Storage and Communication: A New ICOP 1997 Data Set
This working paper provides industry-specific purchasing power parities for gross output in the transportation and communication sector. The calculation of these output PPPs builds on earlier work by the International Comparisons of Output and Productivity (ICOP) project in this field. The paper reviews the existing methods and develops a new system which takes full advantage of the improved data situation. The study captures the transportation and communication sectors of 32 countries (EU-25, Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Taiwan and United States). The second part of the paper applies the PPPs to productivity measures obtained from the EU KLEMS database and the 60-industry Database of the Groningen Growth and development Centre. This results in a consistent and comparable set of productivity levels at detailed industry level. We find that differences in productivity between the United States and other industrialized countries are only partly due to differences in industry structure. The United States especially outperform the EU-15 and Asia on productivity levels in land transport. Eastern European countries are still showing much lower productivity levels, except for land transport where they can become a though competitor for the former EU-15.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 800, 9700 AV Groningen|
Phone: +31 50 363 7185
Fax: +31 50 363 3720
Web page: http://www.rug.nl/research/ggdc/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mulder, N., 1994. "New Perspectives on Service Output and Productivity: A Comparison of French and US Productivity in Transport, Communications, Wholesale and Retail T rade," Papers 575, Groningen State, Institute of Economic Research-.
- Mulder, N., 1995. "Transport and Communications Output and Productivity in Brazil and the USA, 1950-90," Papers 580, Groningen State, Institute of Economic Research-.
- Mulder, N., 1994. "Transport and Communication in Mexico and the United States: Value Added , Purchasing Power Parities and Productivity," Papers 579, Groningen State, Institute of Economic Research-.
- Bart van Ark & Erik Monnikhof & Nanno Mulder, 1999. "Productivity in services: an international comparative perspective," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 471-499, April.
- Timmer, Marcel P. & Ypma, Gerard, 2006. "Productivity Levels in Distributive Trades: A New ICOP Dataset for OECD Countries," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-83, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gro:rugggd:gd-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hanneke Tamling)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.