Multilateralisation of Manufacturing Sector Comparisons: Issues, Methods and Empirical Results
This paper examines the feasibility of constructing a consistent set of multilateral comparisons of manufacturing sector output and productivity within the framework of the ICOP project. A major objective of the paper is to construct truly multilateral comparisons using the existing data base of the ICOP project. This data base consists of data constructed essentially on the basis of detailed bilateral comparisons. Multilateral unit value ratios are built up from the lowest level possible (the product level). The second objective of the paper is to examine in-depth the problem of aggregation of unit value ratios. Various aggregation methods, both well-known methods and new ones, are applied and sensitivity of the results is examined. New multilateral aggregation methods are developed which take into account differences in number of matches of the underlying binary comparisons, as well as the Laspeyres-Paasche spread which is considered to be a general indicator of reliability. Finally, the paper presents empirical results derived from the application of the above procedures to data for eight countries for the 1987 benchmark year.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: STATE UNIVERSITY OF GRONINGEN, FACULTY OF ECONOMICS, INSTITUTE OF ECONOMIC RESEARCH, GRONINGEN THE NETHERLANDS.|
Phone: 31 50 363 3749
Fax: 31 50 363 3720
Web page: http://www.rug.nl/research/som-ri/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pilat, Dirk & Rao, D S Prasada, 1996. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Productivity, and Purchasing Power Parities in Manufacturing," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 42(2), pages 113-130, June.
- Bart van Ark & Erik Monnikhof & Nanno Mulder, 1999. "Productivity in services: an international comparative perspective," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 471-499, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fth:gronig:47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.