Analiza potencja³u konkurencyjnego polskich regionów
The paper relates to factors determining regional competitiveness in Poland. The aim of the empirical analysis is to compare competitive ability of regions in Poland (NUTS-2 level) in 2001-2010 and to verify the existence of clusters. It is based on two data sources: Eurostat Regional Statistics and Local Data Bank (The Central Statistical Office). Polish regions differ essentially in historical, geographical, economic and social dimension. The cluster analysis comprises seven idicators: patent applications to the EPO, share of core Human Resources in Science and Technology, R&D expenditure, share in lifelong learning, share of population with tertiary education, longterm unemployment rate and employment in sectors J and K. We apply two classical methods of cluster analysis: hierarchical Ward’s method and non-hierarchical k-means clustering algorithm. The results confirm substantial diversity of competitive potential of Polish regions and its changes in the analysed period, as well as ambiguous influence of chosen determinants on competitive positions of particular regions. Further research is still needed.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Univeristy of Gdansk, Faculty of Economics, ul. Armii Krajowej 119/121, 81-824 Sopot, Poland|
Phone: (048) 58 523-13-70
Fax: (048) 58 523-13-70
Web page: http://ekonom.ug.edu.pl/web/keie/index.html?lang=pl
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Harris, 2011.
"Models Of Regional Growth: Past, Present And Future,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 913-951, December.
- Richard Harris, 2008. "Models of Regional Growth: Past, Present and Future," SERC Discussion Papers 0002, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Richard Harris, 2008. "Models of regional growth: past, present and future," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33146, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Michael E. Porter, 2000. "Location, Competition, and Economic Development: Local Clusters in a Global Economy," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 14(1), pages 15-34, February.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990. "Endogenous Technological Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 71-102, October.
- Paul Romer, 1989. "Endogenous Technological Change," NBER Working Papers 3210, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul M Romer, 1999. "Endogenous Technological Change," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2135, David K. Levine.
- Krugman, Paul R, 1996. "Making Sense of the Competitiveness Debate," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(3), pages 17-25, Autumn. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gda:wpaper:1205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tomasz Brodzicki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.