(IAM Series No 003) Simple Tests for Models of Dependence Between Multiple Financial Time Series, with Applications to U.S. Equity Returns and Exchange Rates
Evidence that asset returns are more highly correlated during volatile markets and during market downturns (see Longin and Solnik, 2001, and Ang and Chen, 2002) has lead some researchers to propose alternative models of dependence. In this paper we develop two simple goodness-of-fit tests for such models. We use these tests to determine whether the multivariate Normal or the Student’s t copula models are compatible with U.S. equity return and exchange rate data. Both tests are robust to specifications of marginal distributions, and are based on the multivariate probability integral transform and kernel density estimation. The first test is consistent but requires the estimation of a multivariate density function and is recommended for testing the dependence structure between a small number of assets. The second test may not be consistent against all alternatives but it requires kernel estimation of only a univariate density function, and hence is useful for testing the dependence structure between a large number of assets. We justify our tests for both observable multivariate strictly stationary time series and for standardized innovations of GARCH models. A simulation study demonstrates the efficiency of both tests. When applied to equity return data and exchange rate return data, we find strong evidence against the normal copula, but little evidence against the more flexible Student’s t copula.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2003.
"Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 231-250.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001. "Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences," Papers cond-mat/0111310, arXiv.org.
- Yannick Malevergne & Didier Sornette, 2003. "Testing the Gaussian copula hypothesis for financial assets dependences," Post-Print hal-00520539, HAL.
- Y. Malevergne & D. Sornette, 2001. "Testing the Gaussian Copula Hypothesis for Financial Assets Dependences," Finance 0111003, EconWPA.
- Frederick C. Mills, 1927. "Introduction to "The Behavior of Prices"," NBER Chapters,in: The Behavior of Prices, pages 31-36 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Breymann & A. Dias & P. Embrechts, 2003. "Dependence structures for multivariate high-frequency data in finance," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 1-14.
- Umberto Cherubini & Elisa Luciano, 2001. "Value-at-risk Trade-off and Capital Allocation with Copulas," Economic Notes, Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 30(2), pages 235-256, 07.
- Hong, Yongmiao & Li, Haitao, 2002. "Nonparametric specification testing for continuous-time models with application to spot interest rates," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,32, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Yanqin Fan & Paul Rilstone, 2001. "A Consistent Test for the Parametric Specification of the Hazard Function," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 2(1), pages 77-96, May.
- Engle, Robert F & Sheppard, Kevin K, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical Properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt5s2218dp, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Kevin Sheppard, 2001. "Theoretical and Empirical properties of Dynamic Conditional Correlation Multivariate GARCH," NBER Working Papers 8554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua V. Rosenberg, 2003. "Nonparametric pricing of multivariate contingent claims," Staff Reports 162, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Frederick C. Mills, 1927. "The Behavior of Prices," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number mill27-1, Enero-Jun.
- Frederick C. Mills, 1927. "Appendix to "The Behavior of Prices"," NBER Chapters,in: The Behavior of Prices, pages 441-586 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Masry, Elias & Tjøstheim, Dag, 1995. "Nonparametric Estimation and Identification of Nonlinear ARCH Time Series Strong Convergence and Asymptotic Normality: Strong Convergence and Asymptotic Normality," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(02), pages 258-289, February.
- Jean-David Fermanian, 2003. "Goodness of Fit Tests for Copulas," Working Papers 2003-34, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- P. Gagliardini & C. Gourieroux, 2008. "Duration time-series models with proportional hazard," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 74-124, 01.
- Patrick Gagliardini & Christian Gourieroux, 2002. "Duration Time Series Models with Proportional Hazard," Working Papers 2002-21, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Tse, Y. K., 2000. "A test for constant correlations in a multivariate GARCH model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 107-127, September.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Tse's constant correlation GARCH test results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00161, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "TSECCTEST: RATS procedure to perform Tse test for constant correlation in MV-GARCH model," Statistical Software Components RTS00214, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Fan, Yanqin, 1994. "Testing the Goodness of Fit of a Parametric Density Function by Kernel Method," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 316-356, June.
- Ang, Andrew & Chen, Joseph, 2002. "Asymmetric correlations of equity portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 443-494, March.
- Bouye, Eric & Durlleman, Valdo & Nikeghbali, Ashkan & Riboulet, Gaël & Roncalli, Thierry, 2000. "Copulas for finance," MPRA Paper 37359, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Testing Parametric Conditional Distributions of Dynamic Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 531-549, August.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)