Optimal income tax in a monetary economy
This study examines the shape of an optimal income tax schedule in a monetary economy. In equilibrium, money’s role is to allocate resources across generations, while a tax-transfer scheme serves as a form of social insurance. It is found that the optimal real income tax with money can be progressive.
|Date of creation:||1984|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control (Vol. 17, No. 3, May 1993, pp. 443-465)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 90 Hennepin Avenue, P.O. Box 291, Minneapolis, MN 55480-0291|
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, P. A. & Helms, L. J. & Mirrlees, J. A., 1980.
"Optimal taxation in a stochastic economy : A Cobb-Douglas example,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-29, August.
- P. Diamond & J. Helms & J. Mirrlees, 1978. "Optimal Taxation in a Stochastic Economy: A Cobb-Douglas Example," Working papers 217, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- J. A. Mirrlees, 1971. "An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(2), pages 175-208.
- Enders, Walter & Lapan, Harvey E, 1982. "Social Security Taxation and Intergenerational Risk Sharing," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(3), pages 647-658, October.
- Enders, Walter & Lapan, Harvey E., 1982. "Social Security Taxation and Inter-Generational Risk Sharing," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10822, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Miller, Preston J., 1984. "Income stability and economic efficiency under alternative tax schemes," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 121-141, January.
- Stern, Nicholas, 1982. "Optimum taxation with errors in administration," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 181-211, March.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1982. "Self-selection and Pareto efficient taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 213-240, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmwp:244. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jannelle Ruswick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.