International outsourcing over the business cycle: some intuition for Germany, the Czech Republic and Slovakia
In this paper, we assess the extent to which multinational firms - in the first instance, the German ones - may adjust their international outsourcing over the business cycle in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. For that purpose, we have used monthly data of production for the manufacturing sector as a whole and some of its sub-sectors, since 2000 onwards. Our econometrical estimates suggest that there would be an asymmetry in the international outsourcing across the states of the economy, meaning that multinationals firms would be engaged differently in outsourcing activities, depending on whether bad or good economic times occur. Yet, such an asymmetry is found increasing over the time for German and French multinationals operating in the transport equipment sector of Slovakia. Another conclusion is that international outsourcing made by multinational firms in Slovakia may account for a portion of its large business cycles volatility.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 69, quai d'Orsay - 75007 PARIS|
Phone: 01 44 18 54 00
Fax: 01 45 56 06 15
Web page: http://www.ofce.sciences-po.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fidrmuc, J. & Horváth, J., 1998.
"Stability of Monetary Unions : Lessons from the Break-Up of Czechoslovakia,"
1998-74, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "Stability of monetary unions: Lessons from the break-up of Czechoslovakia," ZEI Working Papers B 17-1999, University of Bonn, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "Stability of Monetary Unions: Lessons from the Break-up of Czechoslovakia," Transition Economics Series 10, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Horvath, Julius & Fidrmuc, Jarko, 1999. "The Stability of Monetary Unions: Lessons from the Breakup of Czechoslovakia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 753-781, December.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Lee G. Branstetter & C. Fritz Foley & James Harrigan & J. Bradford Jensen & Lori Kletzer & Catherine Mann & Peter K. Schott & Greg C. Wright, 2010. "Report on the State of Available Data for the Study of International Trade and Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 16254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- CuÃ±at, Alejandro & Melitz, Marc J., 2012.
"Volatility, Labor Market Flexibility, and the Pattern of Comparative Advantage,"
10914283, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alejandro Cuñat & Marc J. Melitz, 2012. "Volatility, Labor Market Flexibility, And The Pattern Of Comparative Advantage," Journal of the European Economic Association, European Economic Association, vol. 10(2), pages 225-254, 04.
- Cuñat, Alejandro & Melitz, Marc J, 2007. "Volatility, Labour Market Flexibility, and the Pattern of Comparative Advantage," CEPR Discussion Papers 6297, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alejandro Cuñat & Marc J. Melitz, 2007. "Volatility, Labor Market Flexibility, and the Pattern of Comparative Advantage," CEP Discussion Papers dp0799, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Alejandro Cuñat & Marc J. Melitz, 2007. "Volatility, Labor Market Flexibility, and the Pattern of Comparative Advantage," NBER Working Papers 13062, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alejandro Cunat & Marc J. Melitz, 2007. "Volatility, labor market flexibility, and the pattern of comparative advantage," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19714, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Paul R. Bergin & Robert C. Feenstra & Gordon H. Hanson, 2009. "Offshoring and Volatility: Evidence from Mexico's Maquiladora Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 99(4), pages 1664-1671, September.
- Juan Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio López-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, "undated".
"The Regulation of Labor,"
19483, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Juan Botero, 2003. "The Regulation of Labor," NBER Working Papers 9756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Botero, J. C. & Djankov, S. & Porta, R. L. & Lopez-de-Silanes, F. & Shleifer, Andrei, 2004. "The Regulation of Labor," Scholarly Articles 27867241, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Marin, Dalia, 2004.
"A Nation of Poets and Thinkers - Less so with Eastern Enlargement? Austria and Germany,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4358, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marin, Dalia, 2004. "'A Nation of Poets and Thinkers' - Less So with Eastern Enlargement? Austria and Germany," Discussion Papers in Economics 329, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Marin, Dalia, 2004. "â€˜A Nation of Poets and Thinkersâ€™ - Less So with Eastern Enlargement? Austria and Germany," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 77, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Yama Temouri & Nigel L. Driffield, 2009. "Does German foreign direct investment lead to job losses at home?," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(3), pages 243-263.
- Gabor Hunya, 2008. "Austrian FDI by main Countries and Industries," FIW Research Reports series I-015, FIW.
- Sandrine Levasseur, 2008. "Updating empirical evidence on business cycles synchronization between CEECs and the euro area : How important is the recent period," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2008-11, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fce:doctra:1031. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.