Opening Indiaâ€™s Garments Sector to South Asia
This paper examines the competitiveness of the Indian garments industry vis-Ã -vis the other South Asian countries Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Under the SAFTA agreement, many of the garment items were on Indiaâ€™s sensitive lists and did not face concessional treatment. Though many of the items have been subsequently removed from Indiaâ€™s sensitive list, the imports of these items to India have not increased significantly. The paper uses secondary data to examine the revealed comparative advantage (RCA) of the four South Asian countries and finds that they are not competing internationally in the same segment of the garments sector. The imports of India in garments from each of these countries are concentrated in a few products. The paper uses a primary survey on five garments clusters in India to understand the nature of imports of garments from these countries and the effect of removal of these items from Indiaâ€™s sensitive list on its imports. URL:[http://fgks.in/IndexServer/tifac/article/143.pdf].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 2007.
"Clusters and comparative advantage: Implications for industrial policy,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 43-57, January.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2005. "Clusters and Comparative Advantage: Implications for Industrial Policy," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6830, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Clare, 2005. "Clusters and Comparative Advantage: Implications for Industrial Policy," Research Department Publications 4391, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Mercedes Delgado & Michael Porter & Scott Stern, 2010.
"Clusters, Convergence, and Economic Performance,"
10-34, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1993.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
NBER Working Papers
4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tendler, Judith & Amorim, Monica Alves, 1996. "Small firms and their helpers: Lessons on demand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 407-426, March.
- Khalid Nadvi, 1999. "The cutting Edge: Collective efficiency and international competitiveness in Pakistan," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1), pages 81-107.
- Roberta Rabellotti & Hubert Schmitz, 1999. "The Internal Heterogeneity of Industrial Districts in Italy, Brazil and Mexico," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 97-108.
- Schmitz, Hubert & Nadvi, Khalid, 1999. "Clustering and Industrialization: Introduction," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1503-1514, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:4461. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.