Opening Indiaâ€™s Garments Sector to South Asia
This paper examines the competitiveness of the Indian garments industry vis-Ã -vis the other South Asian countries Bangladesh, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Under the SAFTA agreement, many of the garment items were on Indiaâ€™s sensitive lists and did not face concessional treatment. Though many of the items have been subsequently removed from Indiaâ€™s sensitive list, the imports of these items to India have not increased significantly. The paper uses secondary data to examine the revealed comparative advantage (RCA) of the four South Asian countries and finds that they are not competing internationally in the same segment of the garments sector. The imports of India in garments from each of these countries are concentrated in a few products. The paper uses a primary survey on five garments clusters in India to understand the nature of imports of garments from these countries and the effect of removal of these items from Indiaâ€™s sensitive list on its imports. URL:[http://fgks.in/IndexServer/tifac/article/143.pdf].
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Khalid Nadvi, 1999. "The cutting Edge: Collective efficiency and international competitiveness in Pakistan," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1), pages 81-107.
- Ciccone, Antonio & Hall, Robert E, 1996.
"Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 54-70, March.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1995. "Productivity and the density of economic activity," Economics Working Papers 120, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Antonio Ciccone & Robert E. Hall, 1993. "Productivity and the Density of Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 4313, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mercedes Delgado & Michael E. Porter & Scott Stern, 2012.
"Clusters, Convergence, and Economic Performance,"
NBER Working Papers
18250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schmitz, Hubert & Nadvi, Khalid, 1999. "Clustering and Industrialization: Introduction," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 1503-1514, September.
- Tendler, Judith & Amorim, Monica Alves, 1996. "Small firms and their helpers: Lessons on demand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 407-426, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:4461. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.