Intergenerational earnings mobility in Japan among sons and daughters : levels and trends
This paper estimates the extent of intergenerational income mobility in Japan among sons and daughters born between 1935 and 1975. Our estimates rely on a two-sample instrumental variables approach using representative data from the Japanese Social Strat- ification and Mobility (SSM) surveys, collected between 1965 and 2005. Father's income is predicted on the basis of a rich set of variables including education, occupation and job characteristics and we discuss changes in the Japanese earnings structure for cohorts born between the early 1900s and the 1960s. Our main results indicate that the intergenerational income elasticity (IGE) in Japan is around .3 for both sons and daughters, a rather low figure in comparative perspective. We discuss the sensitivity of the IGE to using either personal or family income as the income variable for both fathers and children. Laslty, we also examine changes across cohorts in the IGE, as well as the existence of non-linearities in the intergenerational transmission of income. Results indicate that intergenerational mobility has been roughly stable over the last decades and point to a convex relationship between parental income and child's achievement.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arellano, Manuel & Meghir, Costas, 1992.
"Female Labour Supply and On-the-Job Search: An Empirical Model Estimated Using Complementary Data Sets,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 537-59, July.
- M Arellano & Costas Megir & Mary Silles, 1990. "Female Labour Supply and On-the-Job Search: An Empirical Model Estimated using Complementary Data Sets," CEP Discussion Papers dp0009, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Ryo Kambayashi & Daiji Kawaguchi & Izumi Yokoyama, 2008.
"Wage distribution in Japan, 1989-2003,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(4), pages 1329-1350, November.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2005-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arnaud LEFRANC & Fumiaki OJIMA & Takashi YOSHIDA, 2008. "The Intergenerational Transmission of Income and Education: A Comparison of Japan and France," RSCAS Working Papers 2008/25, European University Institute.
- Markus Jäntti & Eva Österbacka & Oddbjörn Raaum & Tor Eriksson & Anders Björklund, 2002.
"Brother correlations in earnings in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden compared to the United States,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 757-772.
- Björklund, Anders & Eriksson, Tor & Jäntti, Markus & Raaum, Oddbjørn & Österbacka, Eva, 2000. "Brother Correlations in Earnings in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden Compared to the United States," IZA Discussion Papers 158, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zimmerman, David J, 1992. "Regression toward Mediocrity in Economic Stature," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 409-29, June.
- Genda, Yuji & Kambayashi, Ryo, 2002. "Declining Self-Employment in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 73-91, March.
- Bhashkar Mazumder, 2002.
"Earnings Mobility in the US: A New Look at Intergenerational Inequality,"
02-11, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Bhashkar Mazumder, 2001. "Earnings mobility in the US: a new look at intergenerational inequality," Working Paper Series WP-01-18, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Chul-In Lee & Gary Solon, 2009.
"Trends in Intergenerational Income Mobility,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 91(4), pages 766-772, November.
- Oi, Walter Y, 1990. "Employment Relations in Dual Labor Markets (" It's Nice Work If You Can Get It")," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages S124-49, January.
- Silke Anger & Guido Heineck, 2009.
"Do Smart Parents Raise Smart Children?: The Intergenerational Transmission of Cognitive Abilities,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
156, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Anger, Silke & Heineck, Guido, 2010. "Do Smart Parents Raise Smart Children? The Intergenerational Transmission of Cognitive Abilities," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 1105-1132.
- Silke Anger & Guido Heineck, 2010. "Do smart parents raise smart children? The intergenerational transmission of cognitive abilities," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 1105-1132, June.
- Robert Lucas & Sari Kerr, 2013. "Intergenerational income immobility in Finland: contrasting roles for parental earnings and family income," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 1057-1094, July.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Alain Trannoy, 2004.
"Intergenerational earnings mobility in France : Is France more mobile than the US ?,"
IDEP Working Papers
0401, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised Feb 2004.
- Arnaud LEFRANC, Alain TRANNOY - & Alain TRANNOY, 2005. "Intergenerational earnings mobility in France: Is France more mobile than the U.S.?," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 78, pages 57-77.
- Haoming Liu & Jinli Zeng, 2009. "Genetic ability and intergenerational earnings mobility," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 75-95, January.
- Nybom, Martin & Stuhler, Jan, 2011. "Heterogeneous Income Profiles and Life-Cycle Bias in Intergenerational Mobility Estimation," IZA Discussion Papers 5697, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Laura Chadwick & Gary Solon, 2002. "Intergenerational Income Mobility Among Daughters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 335-344, March.
- John Ermisch & Marco Francesconi & Thomas Siedler, 2006. "Intergenerational Mobility and Marital Sorting," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(513), pages 659-679, 07.
- Bjorklund, Anders & Jantti, Markus, 1997. "Intergenerational Income Mobility in Sweden Compared to the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1009-18, December.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Nicolas Williams, 2005.
"Do wages rise with job seniority? A reassessment,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 58(3), pages 370-397, April.
- Steven Haider & Gary Solon, 2006.
"Life-Cycle Variation in the Association between Current and Lifetime Earnings,"
NBER Working Papers
11943, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Haider & Gary Solon, 2006. "Life-Cycle Variation in the Association between Current and Lifetime Earnings," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1308-1320, September.
- Solon, Gary, 1992. "Intergenerational Income Mobility in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2006.
"Inequality of opportunities vs. inequality of outcomes: Are Western societies all alike?,"
54, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Arnaud Lefranc & Nicolas Pistolesi & Alain Trannoy, 2008. "Inequality Of Opportunities Vs. Inequality Of Outcomes: Are Western Societies All Alike?," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(4), pages 513-546, December.
- Nicoletti Cheti & Ermisch John F, 2008.
"Intergenerational Earnings Mobility: Changes across Cohorts in Britain,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-38, January.
- Daniel Aaronson & Bhashkar Mazumder, 2008. "Intergenerational Economic Mobility in the United States, 1940 to 2000," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 43(1).
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2002. "The Inheritance of Inequality," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 3-30, Summer.
- Grawe, Nathan D., 2006. "Lifecycle bias in estimates of intergenerational earnings persistence," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 551-570, October.
- Angrist, Joshua D & Krueger, Alan B, 1995. "Split-Sample Instrumental Variables Estimates of the Return to Schooling," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(2), pages 225-35, April.
- Katz, Lawrence F. & Revenga, Ana L., 1989. "Changes in the structure of wages: The United States vs Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 522-553, December.
- Arnaud Lefranc, 2011. "Educational expansion, earnings compression and changes in intergenerational economic mobility : Evidence from French cohorts, 1931-1976," THEMA Working Papers 2011-11, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ema:worpap:2011-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Marcassa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.