Extending the Collective Approach to Children: A Rothbarth-Type Measure of Child Costs Consistent with Scale Economies and Parents Bargaining
We extend the collective model of household consumption to account explicitly for child welfare and economies of scale. Each household member is characterized by specific preferences and the (unspecified) allocation process is assumed to be efficient. Following the principle of the Rothbarth approach, the identification of the children's share requires the observation of adult-specific goods. The share of household income accruing to children in this context o¤ers a new measure of the cost of children, i.e., it differs from the traditional approach in that it is compatible with economies of scale and parents' bargaining. We illustrate the method with an application on the French Household Budget Survey.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 33, boulevard du port - 95011 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex|
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniela Del Boca & Christopher Flinn & Matthew Wiswall, 2014.
"Household Choices and Child Development,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 81(1), pages 137-185.
- Daniela Del Boca & Christopher Flinn & Matthew Wiswall, 2010. "Household Choices and Child Development," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 149, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Del Boca, Daniela & Flinn, Christopher & Wiswall, Matthew, 2010. "Household Choices and Child Development," IZA Discussion Papers 5155, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniela Del Boca & Christopher Flinn & Matthew Wiswall, 2010. "Household Choices and Child Development," Working Papers 2011-039, Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Working Group.
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Donni, Olivier, 2009. "Non-unitary Models of Household Behavior: A Survey of the Literature," IZA Discussion Papers 4603, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ema:worpap:2011-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Marcassa)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.