The record of gender policies in Greece 1980-2010: legal form and economic substance
Reforms promoting gender equality in Greece are held by many to be one of the few real success stories of the post-1974 period. Indeed, there has been considerable activity in changes in employment, family, social insurance and other legislation all centered around the constitutional provision on equal treatment which came into force in 1983. This activism, however, was mainly about statutory changes and lacked a feminist analysis of women’s real position in the Greek economy and society. The main argument of the paper is that gender equality-promoting policies, laws and measures - ‘Legalistic Formalism’- failed because they ignored the dual nature of the labour market and the economics of the family. By focusing on legal form and ignoring reality it allowed the reform momentum to be hijacked.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: LSE Library Portugal Street London, WC2A 2HD, U.K.|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesca Bettio & Paola Villa, 1996.
"A Mediterranean Perspective on the Break-Down of the Relationship between Participation and Fertility,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
9605, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Bettio, Francesca & Villa, Paola, 1998. "A Mediterranean Perspective on the Breakdown of the Relationship between Participation and Fertility," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 137-71, March.
- Platon Tinios, 2010.
"Vacillations around a Pension Reform Trajectory: time for a change?,"
GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe
34, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Platon Tinios, 2010. "Vacillations around a pension reform trajectory: time for a change?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 27674, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Daphne Nicolitsas, 2006. "Female labour force participation in Greece: developments and determining factors," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 26, pages 7-35, January.
- Evangelia Papapetrou, 2004. "Gender Wage Differentials in Greece," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 23, pages 47-64, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:28437. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.