Forecasting growth in eastern Europe and central Asia
Growth forecasts are at the heart of investment decisions and yet in emerging and developing markets they often receive limited support from quantitative models. This paper describes the main quantitative modelling techniques that have informed EBRD growth projections since 2009. The paper describes how bridge models use high-frequency data and the generalised dynamic factor model uses a vast body of cross-country data to nowcast growth. In addition, a Bayesian vector-autoregressive model is used to forecast growth under various scenarios. The paper includes a comparison between the forecasting performance of the model and that of economists, the latter working both at the EBRD and at other institutions.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Working papers 137, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ebrd.com/pages/research/publications/workingpapers.shtml
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Golinelli, Roberto & Parigi, Giuseppe, 2005. "Short-Run Italian GDP Forecasting and Real-Time Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 5302, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer & PÃ¤r Ã–sterholm, 2007.
"The Effect of External Conditionson Growth in Latin America,"
IMF Working Papers
07/176, International Monetary Fund.
- P&aauml;r �sterholm & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2008. "The Effect of External Conditions on Growth in Latin America," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 55(4), pages 595-623, December.
- Domenico Giannone & Lucrezia Reichlin & David Small, 2005.
"Nowcasting GDP and inflation: the real-time informational content of macroeconomic data releases,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2005-42, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Giannone, Domenico & Reichlin, Lucrezia & Small, David, 2008. "Nowcasting: The real-time informational content of macroeconomic data," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 665-676, May.
- Domenico Giannone & Lucrezia Reichlin & David H Small, 2007. "Nowcasting GDP and Inflation: The Real-Time Informational Content of Macroeconomic Data Releases," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006 164, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Giannone, Domenico & Reichlin, Lucrezia & Small, David, 2005. "Nowcasting GDP and Inflation: The Real Time Informational Content of Macroeconomic Data Releases," CEPR Discussion Papers 5178, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giannone, Domenico & Reichlin, Lucrezia & Small, David H., 2006. "Nowcasting GDP and inflation: the real-time informational content of macroeconomic data releases," Working Paper Series 0633, European Central Bank.
- G. Rünstler & K. Barhoumi & S. Benk & R. Cristadoro & A. Den Reijer & A. Jakaitiene & P. Jelonek & A. Rua & K. Ruth & C. Van Nieuwenhuyze, 2008.
"Short-Term Forecasting of GDP Using Large Monthly Datasets: A Pseudo Real-Time Forecast Evaluation Exercise,"
Bank of Lithuania Working Paper Series
1, Bank of Lithuania.
- Karim Barhoumi & Szilard Benk & Riccardo Cristadoro & Ard Den Reijer & Audrone Jakaitiene & Piotr Jelonek & António Rua & Gerhard Rünstler & Karsten Ruth & Christophe Van Nieuwenhuyze, 2008. "Short-term forecasting of GDP using large monthly datasets - a pseudo real-time forecast evaluation exercise," Occasional Paper Series 84, European Central Bank.
- Barhoumi, K. & Rünstler, G. & Cristadoro, R. & Den Reijer, A. & Jakaitiene, A. & Jelonek, P. & Rua, A. & Ruth, K. & Benk, S. & Van Nieuwenhuyze, C., 2008. "Short-term forecasting of GDP using large monthly datasets: a pseudo real-time forecast evaluation exercise," Working papers 215, Banque de France.
- K. Barhoumi & S. Benk & R. Cristadoro & A. Den Reijer & A. Jakaitiene & P. Jelonek & A. Rua & K. Ruth & C. Van Nieuwenhuyze & G. Rünstler, 2008. "Short-term forecasting of GDP using large monthly datasets – A pseudo real-time forecast evaluation exercise," Working Paper Research 133, National Bank of Belgium.
- Ara Stepanyan & Era Dabla-Norris & Ashot Anatolii Mkrtchyan, 2009. "A New Keynesian Model of the Armenian Economy," IMF Working Papers 09/66, International Monetary Fund.
- Baffigi, Alberto & Golinelli, Roberto & Parigi, Giuseppe, 2004. "Bridge models to forecast the euro area GDP," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 447-460.
- Elena Angelini & Marta Banbura & Gerhard Rünstler, 2010.
"Estimating and forecasting the euro area monthly national accounts from a dynamic factor model,"
OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis,
OECD Publishing,Centre for International Research on Economic Tendency Surveys, vol. 2010(1), pages 1-22.
- Angelini, Elena & Bańbura, Marta & Rünstler, Gerhard, 2008. "Estimating and forecasting the euro area monthly national accounts from a dynamic factor model," Working Paper Series 0953, European Central Bank.
- Konstantins Benkovskis, 2008. "Short-Term Forecasts of Latvia's Real Gross Domestic Product Growth Using Monthly Indicators," Working Papers 2008/05, Latvijas Banka.
- Riccardo Cristadoro & Mario Forni & Lucrezia Reichlin & Giovanni Veronese, 2001.
"A core inflation index for the euro area,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
435, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Österholm, Pär, 2006.
"Incorporating Judgement in Fan Charts,"
Working Paper Series
2006:30, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Franck Sédillot & Nigel Pain, 2003. "Indicator Models of Real GDP Growth in Selected OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 364, OECD Publishing.
- Štiblar Franjo & Oplotnik Žan & Vukotić Veselin, 2006. "Montenegrin Quarterly Macroeconomic Econometric Model," Prague Economic Papers, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2006(2), pages 156-171.
- Nikola Tasiæ & Miroslav Zdravkoviæ, 2008. "Long-run Exchange Rate Sensitivity of Serbian Exports and Imports," Working papers 17, National Bank of Serbia.
- Rochelle M. Edge & Refet S. Gurkaynak, 2011. "How useful are estimated DSGE model forecasts?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2011-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hahn, Elke, 2002. "Core inflation in the euro area: An application of the generalized dynamic factor model," CFS Working Paper Series 2002/11, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Dobrescu, Emilian, 2010. "Macromodel Simulations for the Romanian Economy," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(2), pages 7-28, July.
- Villani, Mattias, 2005. "Inference in Vector Autoregressive Models with an Informative Prior on the Steady State," Working Paper Series 181, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebd:wpaper:137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Lucas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.