Foreign currency lending in emerging Europe: bank-level evidence
Based on survey data from 193 banks in 20 countries we provide the first bank-level analysis of the determinants of foreign currency (FX) lending in emerging Europe. We find that FX lending by all banks, regardless of their ownership structure, is strongly determined by the macroeconomic environment. We find no evidence of foreign banks ‘pushing’ FX loans indiscriminately because of easier access to wholesale funding in foreign currency. In fact, while foreign banks do lend more in FX to corporate clients, they do not do so to retail clients. We also find that after a take-over by a foreign bank, the acquired bank does not increase its FX lending any faster than a bank which remains in domestic hands.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ebrd.com/pages/research/publications/workingpapers.shtml
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Degryse, H.A. & Havrylchyk, O. & Jurzyk, E. & Kozak, S., 2009.
"Foreign Bank Entry and Credit Allocation in Emerging Markets,"
2009-94, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Sylwester Kozak & Emilia Magdalena Jurzyk & Hans Degryse & Olena Havrylchyk, 2009. "Foreign Bank Entry and Credit Allocation in Emerging Markets," IMF Working Papers 09/270, International Monetary Fund.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 1997.
"Bank consolidation and small business lending: it's not just bank size that matters,"
97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Peek, Joe & Rosengren, Eric S., 1998. "Bank consolidation and small business lending: It's not just bank size that matters," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 799-819, August.
- Nicolo, Gianni De & Honohan, Patrick & Ize, Alain, 2005. "Dollarization of bank deposits: Causes and consequences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1697-1727, July.
- Luca, Alina & Petrova, Iva, 2008. "What drives credit dollarization in transition economies?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 858-869, May.
- Romain Rancière & Aaron Tornell & Athanasio Vamvakidis, 2010. "Currency Mismatch and Systemic Risk in Emerging Europe," PSE - G-MOND WORKING PAPERS halshs-00967419, HAL.
- Enrica Detragiache & Poonam Gupta & Thierry Tressel, 2006.
"Foreign Banks in Poor Countries; Theory and Evidence,"
IMF Working Papers
06/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Enrica Detragiache & Thierry Tressel & Poonam Gupta, 2008. "Foreign Banks in Poor Countries: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2123-2160, October.
- N. Berger, Allen & F. Udell, Gregory, 1998.
"The economics of small business finance: The roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(6-8), pages 613-673, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1998. "The economics of small business finance: the roles of private equity and debt markets in the financial growth cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-15, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mian, Shehzad L., 1996. "Evidence on Corporate Hedging Policy," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(03), pages 419-439, September.
- Martin Brown & Karolin Kirschenmann & Steven Ongena, 2011.
"Foreign Currency Loans - Demand or Supply Driven?,"
2011-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Brown, Martin & Kirschenmann, Karolin & Ongena, Steven, 2010. "Foreign Currency Loans - Demand or Supply Driven?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7952, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brown, Martin & Kirschenmann, Karolin & Ongena, Steven, 2010. "Foreign Currency Loans - Demand or Supply Driven?," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Hannover 2010 8, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Brown, M. & Kirschenmann, K. & Ongena, S., 2009. "Foreign Currency Loans - Demand or Supply Driven?," Discussion Paper 2009-78, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Carlos O. Arteta, 2002.
"Exchange rate regimes and financial dollarization: does flexibility reduce bank currency mismatches?,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
738, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carlos Óscar Arteta, 2003. "Exchange Rate Regimes and Financial Dollarization: Does Flexibility Reduce Bank Currency Mismatches?," International Finance 0303005, EconWPA.
- Goswami, Gautam & Shrikhande, Milind M., 2001. "Economic exposure and debt financing choice," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 39-58, February.
- Christian Beer & Steven Ongena & Marcel Peter, 2008.
"Borrowing in Foreign Currency: Austrian Households as Carry Traders,"
2008-19, Swiss National Bank.
- Beer, Christian & Ongena, Steven & Peter, Marcel, 2010. "Borrowing in foreign currency: Austrian households as carry traders," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2198-2211, September.
- Benavente, Jose Miguel & Johnson, Christian A. & Morande, Felipe G., 2003. "Debt composition and balance sheet effects of exchange rate depreciations: a firm-level analysis for Chile," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 397-416, December.
- Martinez, Lorenza & Werner, Alejandro, 2002. "The exchange rate regime and the currency composition of corporate debt: the Mexican experience," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 315-334, December.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- repec:hal:psewpa:halshs-00967419 is not listed on IDEAS
- Havrylchyk, Olena & Jurzyk, Emilia, 2011.
"Inherited or earned? Performance of foreign banks in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1291-1302, May.
- Emilia Magdalena Jurzyk & Olena Havrylchyk, 2010. "Inherited or Earned? Performance of Foreign Banks in Central and Eastern Europe," IMF Working Papers 10/4, International Monetary Fund.
- Olena Havrylchyk & Emilia Jurzyk, 2008. "Inherited or Earned? Performance of Foreign Banks in Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 2008-16, CEPII research center.
- De Haas, Ralph & Naaborg, Ilko, 2006. "Foreign banks in transition countries. To whom do they lend and how are they financed?," MPRA Paper 6320, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Athanasios Vamvakidis, 2010. "Currency mismatch, systemic risk and growth in emerging Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 25, pages 597-658, October.
- George Allayannis & Gregory W. Brown & Leora F. Klapper, 2003. "Capital Structure and Financial Risk: Evidence from Foreign Debt Use in East Asia," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2667-2710, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebd:wpaper:122. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Olga Lucas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.