Gestaltungsmöglichkeiten der Stadtstaaten bei gegebener Steuersatzautonomie für die Körperschaftsteuer: eine empirische Analyse
German corporated companies are taxed with a federal corporation tax and with a local busi-ness tax. The latter has a similar, but broader tax base (including e.g. 25% of interest pay-ments) and its tax rate is set independently by every municipality including the so called city-states (Stadtstaaten). The federal corporation tax revenue is equally split between the federal government and the federal states (Länder). Till now the federal tax rate has been fixed by the German government. Federal states have not had the right to rule the tax rate of their share of corporation tax. At present a federal commission is discussing whether this should be possible in the future. Once granted this privilege, the city-states will be able to substitute their part of corporation tax by a higher local business tax. Furthermore, because of its broader tax base, there will be a reduction of the statutory tax rate for corporations without a decrease in tax revenue. This paper analyses the revenue effects of this substitution for the city-states taking into account the German fiscal equalization system and the incentive of profit shifting to the city-states. The analysis shows some positive revenue effects to the city-states, if they will substitute their part of corporation tax by a higher local business tax. The revenue effects are subject to different scenarios and add up to 17.5 million for Hamburg, 10.4 million for Berlin and 3.6 million for Bremen.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:109:y:1994:i:1:p:149-82 is not listed on IDEAS
- Harry Huizinga & Luc Laeven & Gaetan Nicodeme, 2006.
"Capital structure and international debt shifting,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
263, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Harry Huizinga & Luc Laeven & Gaëtan Nicodème, 2007. "Capital Structure and International Debt Shifting," Working Papers CEB 07-015.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Huizinga, Harry & Laeven, Luc & Nicodème, Gaëtan, 2006. "Capital Structure and International Debt Shifting," CEPR Discussion Papers 5882, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luc Laeven & Harry Huizinga & Gaetan Nicodeme, 2007. "Capital Structure and International Debt Shifting," IMF Working Papers 07/39, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael P Devereux, 2007. "The Impact of Taxation on the Location of Capital, Firms and Profit: a Survey of Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 0702, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Huizinga, Harry & Laeven, Luc, 2007. "International Profit Shifting within European Multinationals," CEPR Discussion Papers 6048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James R. Hines & Eric M. Rice, 1994. "Fiscal Paradise: Foreign Tax Havens and American Business," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(1), pages 149-182.
- Hines, J.R. & Rice, E.M., 1990.
"Fiscal Paradise: Foreign Tax Havens And American Business,"
56, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- James R. Hines, Jr. & Eric M. Rice, 1990. "Fiscal Paradise: Foreign Tax Havens and American Business," NBER Working Papers 3477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Büttner, Thiess & Schwager, Robert, 2000.
"Länderautonomie in der Einkommensteuer: Konsequenzen eines Zuschlagsmodells,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
00-50, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Thiess Büttner & Robert Schwager, 2003. "Länderautonomie in der Einkommensteuer: Konsequenzen eines Zuschlagsmodells," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 223(5), pages 532-555.
- Becker, Johannes & Fuest, Clemens & Spengel, Christoph, 2005. "Konzernsteuerquote und Invesitionsverhalten," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-33, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp768. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.