Perceptions of job instability and the prospects of parenthood. A comparison between Eastern and Western Germany
The paper contributes to a debate on recent fertility developments in eastern and western Germany as well as on the lacking convergence of family formation patterns between the two regions. We address the relationship between the perception of instable employment careers and economic insecurity in relation to family formation intentions. We conduct a thematic and interpretative analysis of problem-centered interviews with stratified sub-samples of eastern and western Germans in their late twenties. Our findings show considerable differences between the two regions. In western Germany stable employment precedes family formation following a rigid sequential pattern, whereas in eastern Germany employment stability and family formation are conceived and practiced as parallel investments
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter McDonald, 2000. "Gender Equity in Theories of Fertility Transition," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 26(3), pages 427-439.
- FFF1Michaela NNN1Kreyenfeld, 2004. "Fertility Decisions in the FRG and GDR: An Analysis with Data from the German Fertility and Family Survey," Demographic Research Special Collections, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 3(11), pages 275-318, April.
- Laura Bernardi & Holger von der Lippe & Sylvia Keim, 2005. "Mapping social influence on fertility: a mix-method approach to data collection," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2005-015, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Witte, James C. & Wagner, Gert G., 1995. "Declining Fertility in East Germany After Unification: A Demographic Response to Socioeconomic Change," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - German National Library of Economics, pages 387-397.
- Michaela Kreyenfeld, 2004. "Fertility decisions in the FRG and GDR," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2004-008, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.