An interior point algorithm for computing equilibria in economies with incomplete asset markets
Computing equilibria in general equilibria models with incomplete asset (GEI) markets is technically difficult. The standard numerical methods for computing these equilibria are based on homotopy methods. Despite recent advances in computational economics, much more can be done to enlarge the catalogue of techniques for computing GEI equilibria. This paper presents an interior-point algorithm that exploits the special structure of GEI markets. We prove that the algorithm converges globally at a quadratic rate, rendering it particularly effective in solving large-scale GEI economies. To illustrate its performance, we solve relevant examples of GEI markets
|Date of creation:||Nov 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.business.uc3m.es/es/index|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demarzo, Peter M. & Eaves, B. Curtis, 1996. "Computing equilibria of GEI by relocalization on a Grassmann manifold," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 479-497.
- P.J.J. Herings & F. Kubler, 2001.
"Computing Equilibria in Finance Economies,"
GE, Growth, Math methods
- Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Kubler Felix, 2002. "Computing Equilibria in Finance Economies," Research Memorandum 010, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Kubler Felix, 2000. "Computing Equilibria in Finance Economies," Research Memorandum 010, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Mercedes Esteban-Bravo, 2004. "Computing Equilibria in General Equilibrium Models via Interior-point Methods," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 23(2), pages 147-171, 03.
- Schmedders, Karl, 1998. "Computing equilibria in the general equilibrium model with incomplete asset markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1375-1401, August.
- Brown, Donald J & DeMarzo, Peter M & Eaves, B Curtis, 1996. "Computing Equilibria When Asset Markets Are Incomplete," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Magill, Michael & Shafer, Wayne, 1991. "Incomplete markets," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 1523-1614 Elsevier.
- Kubler, Felix & Schmedders, Karl, 2000. "Computing Equilibria in Stochastic Finance Economies," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 15(1-2), pages 145-72, April.
- Felix Kubler, 2001. "Computable general equilibrium with financial markets," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 18(1), pages 73-96.
- Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii, 2002. "Theory of Incomplete Markets, Volume 1," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262632543.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wbrepe:wb046023. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.