Computing Equilibria in Finance Economies
The general equilibrium model with incomplete asset markets provides a unified framework for many problems in finance and macroeconomics. In its simplest version with only two time periods and a single physical commodity the model is ideally suited for the study of problems in cross sectional asset pricing and portfolio theory. In this paper we develop a homotopy algorithm to approximate equilibria in these ''finance economies''. Since the algorithm is tailor made for finance economies, the number of nonlinear equations that has to be solved for, and therefore the computing time,is an order of magnitude smaller than that of existing general purpose algorithms.The algorithm is shown to be generically convergent. We implement the algorithm using HOMPACK. To illustrate its performance, we present various numerical examples and report running times.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht|
Phone: +31 (0)43 38 83 830
Web page: http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1990.
"The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521388702, October.
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1985. "The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521265140, October.
- Mehra, Rajnish & Prescott, Edward C., 1985. "The equity premium: A puzzle," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 145-161, March.
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010. "The equity premium: a puzzle," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1401, David K. Levine.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, September.
- Herings,O. Jean-Jacques & Kubler,Felix, 2000. "The Robustness of CAPM-A Computational Approach," Research Memorandum 035, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Demarzo, Peter M. & Eaves, B. Curtis, 1996. "Computing equilibria of GEI by relocalization on a Grassmann manifold," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 479-497.
- Jean-Jacques Herings, P., 1997. "A globally and universally stable price adjustment process," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 163-193, March.
- Herings, P.J.J., 1994. "A globally and universally stable price adjustment process," Discussion Paper 1994-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Brown, Donald J & DeMarzo, Peter M & Eaves, B Curtis, 1996. "Computing Equilibria When Asset Markets Are Incomplete," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Kubler, F., 1999. "The Robustness of the CAPM - A Computational Approach," Discussion Paper 1999-54, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- P. Jean-Jacques Herings & Felix Kubler, 2000. "The Robustness of the CAPM-A Computational Approach," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0400, Econometric Society.
- Herbert E. Scarf, 1967. "The Approximation of Fixed Points of a Continuous Mapping," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 216R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Duffie, Darrell & Shafer, Wayne, 1985. "Equilibrium in incomplete markets: I : A basic model of generic existence," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 285-300, June.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
- Hens,Thorsten, 1991. "Structure of general equilibrium models with incomplete markets and a single consumption good," Discussion Paper Serie A 353, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Doup, T.M. & van der Laan, G. & Talman, A.J.J., 1984. "The (2n+1-2)-ray algorithm : A new simplicial algorithm to compute economic equilibria," Research Memorandum FEW 151, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Talman, A.J.J. & Doup, T.M. & van der Laan, G., 1987. "The (2**(n+1)-2)-ray algorithm : A new simplicial algorithm to compute economic equilibria," Other publications TiSEM 400795a4-b171-4faa-b242-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1975. "On the optimality of equilibrium when the market structure is incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 418-443, December.
- Schmedders, Karl, 1998. "Computing equilibria in the general equilibrium model with incomplete asset markets," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1375-1401, August.
- Eaves, B. Curtis & Schmedders, Karl, 1999. "General equilibrium models and homotopy methods," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(9-10), pages 1249-1279, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)