Nominal Rigidity and Monetary Uncertainty
A dynamic, stochastic optimizing macromodel with predetermined money wages and labour market monopoly power is used to examine the effect on current macroeconomic variables of a temporary increase in variability of the future money supply. As a benchmark, we show that under perfect wage-price flexibility `uncertainty irrelevance' holds, when monetary uncertainty is appropriately defined. The introduction of wage stickiness causes future monetary uncertainty to raise the nominal interest rate, with a deflationary impact on current price and output, for plausible parameterizations. It also causes the money wage to be set higher, increasing the `natural' rate of unemployment.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Portier, Franck, 1993.
"Money, New-Keynesian macroeconomics and the business cycle,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1533-1568, December.
- Hairault, J.O. & Portier, F., 1992. "Money New-Keynesian Macroeconomics and the Business Cycles," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 92.32, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Deaton, Angus, 1992. "Understanding Consumption," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288244.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr & Stokey, Nancy L, 1987.
"Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 491-513, May.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1985. "Money and Interest in a Cash-in-Advance Economy," NBER Working Papers 1618, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984. "Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy," Discussion Papers 628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Grinols, E.L. & Turnovsky, S.J., 1992.
"Risk, the Financial Market and Macroeconomic Equilibrium,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
92-01, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Grinols, Earl L. & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1993. "Risk, the financial market, and macroeconomic equilibrium," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 1-36.
- Grinols, E.L. & Turnovsky, S.J., 1992. "Risk, the Financial Market and Macroeconomic Equilibrium," Working Papers 92-01, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Evans, George W, 1989. "The Conduct of Monetary Policy and the Natural Rate of Unemployment: A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(4), pages 498-507, November.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1994. "A Simple Model for Study of the Determination of the Price Level and the Interaction of Monetary and Fiscal Policy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 381-99.
- Driffill, John & Mizon, Grayham E. & Ulph, Alistair, 1990.
"Costs of inflation,"
Handbook of Monetary Economics,
in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 1013-1066
- Stulz, ReneM., 1986. "Interest rates and monetary policy uncertainty," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 331-347, May.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1995.
"Money and wage contracts in an optimizing model of the business cycle,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 303-315, April.
- Bénassy, Jean-Pascal, 1993. "Money and wage contracts in an optimizing model of the business cycle," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9325, CEPREMAP.
- Gray, Jo Anna, 1976. "Wage indexation: A macroeconomic approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 221-235, April.
- Sorensen, Jan Rose, 1992. " Uncertainty and Monetary Policy in a Wage Bargaining Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(3), pages 443-55.
- Rankin, N., 1993.
"Monetary Uncertainty in Discrete-Time Utility-of-Money Models,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
408, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Rankin, Neil, 1994. "Monetary uncertainty in discrete-time utility-of-money models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 127-132.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," NBER Working Papers 2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katz, Eliakim & Rosenberg, Jacob, 1983. "Inflation Variability, Real-Wage Variability and Production Inefficiency," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 50(200), pages 469-75, November.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- Giovannini, Alberto, 1989. "Uncertainty and liquidity," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 239-258, March.
- Dixon, H. & Rankin, N., 1991.
"Imperfect Competition and Macroeconomics: a Survey,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
387, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixon, Huw David & Rankin, Neil, 1994. "Imperfect Competition and Macroeconomics: A Survey," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(2), pages 171-99, April.
- Dixon, Huw David & Rankin, Neil, 1992. "Imperfect Competition and Macroeconomics: A Survey," CEPR Discussion Papers 636, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1986. "Sticky Goods Prices, Flexible Asset Prices, Monopolistic Competition, and Monetary Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 385-405, July.
- Alberto Giovannini, 1987. "Uncertainty and Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 2296, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Gertler, Mark & Grinols, Earl, 1982. "Monetary randomness and investment," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 239-258.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1977. "Long-Term Contracts, Rational Expectations, and the Optimal Money Supply Rule," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(1), pages 191-205, February.
- Bianconi, Marcelo, 1992. "Monetary growth innovations in a simple cash-in-advance asset-pricing model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1501-1521, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:890. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.