Models of Technology Development in Intermediate Research Organisations
The development and exploitation of new scientific and technological know-how is a prime engine of economic growth. Different innovation systems have developed different approaches to this problem and have built upon varying combinations of public and private support for R&D over time. In this context, research and technology intermediaries play an important brokering and entrepreneurial role. This paper contains a comparative institutional analysis of the policy and business models of the Fraunhofer Society (Germany), IMEC (Belgium), the Holst Centre (the Netherlands), ITRI (Taiwan) and ETRI (South Korea). It includes an investigation and discussion of their main features, modus operandi, opportunities/risks and trade-offs. The study responds to the need to gain better understanding of possible ways to strengthen the capacity of the UK economy to generate value from its science and technology base. The case studies presented in this paper offer a number of useful lessons for the development of new innovation policy instruments of great potential benefit to the UK plc.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1999.
"Public research and industrial innovations in Germany,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 397-422, April.
- Beise, Marian & Stahl, Harald, 1998. "Public research and industrial innovations in Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-37, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Audretsch, David B & Phillips, Ronnie, 2007.
"Entrepreneurship, State Economic Development Policy, and the Entrepreneurial University,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6242, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Audretsch & Ronnie J. Phillips, 2007. "Entrepreneurship, State Economic Development Policy, and the Entrepreneurial University," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2007-11, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Antonelli, Cristiano & Teubal, Morris, 2006.
"Venture Capitalism as a Mechanism for Knowledge Governance,"
Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio
200604, University of Turin.
- Cristiano Antonelli & Morris Teubal, 2010. "Venture Capitalism as a Mechanism for Knowledge Governance," Chapters, in: The Capitalization of Knowledge, chapter 3 Edward Elgar.
- C. Antonelli, 2007.
"Localized Technological Change,"
in: Elgar Companion to Neo-Schumpeterian Economics, chapter 16
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2003. "Localized Technological Change," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200305, University of Turin.
- Bekkers, Rudi & Bodas Freitas, Isabel Maria, 2008. "Analysing knowledge transfer channels between universities and industry: To what degree do sectors also matter?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1837-1853, December.
- Mathews, John A., 2002. "The origins and dynamics of Taiwan's R&D consortia," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 633-651, May.
- Howells, Jeremy, 2006. "Intermediation and the role of intermediaries in innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 715-728, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp396. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Howard Cobb)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.