Analysis of the Performance of Mexican Pension Funds: Evidence from a Stationary Bootstrap Application
This paper assesses the performance of Mexican pension funds (AFORES) by using an asset pricing model that includes macroeconomic factors and benchmark portfolios to explain returns. We apply a bootstrap statistical technique to obtain the cross-sectional distribution of performance measures (alphas) across all pension funds. This is done to determine whether a pension fund manager adds value to the portfolio before commissions charges, or if the performance observed, after controlling for the relevant factors, is simply explained by luck. Moreover, by comparing pension fund alphas to the distributions of alphas corresponding to lower rankings, we can find out if a particular fund statistically distinguishes itself from others. Our results provide evidence that pension funds managers do not add value to the portfolio and that funds are not distinguishable from each other.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wayne E. Ferson & Sergei Sarkissian & Timothy T. Simin, 2003.
"Spurious Regressions in Financial Economics?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(4), pages 1393-1414, 08.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Blake, Christopher R, 1995. " Fundamental Economic Variables, Expected Returns, and Bond Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1229-56, September.
- Edwin J. Elton & Martin J. Gruber & Mustafa Gultekin, 1981. "Expectations and Share Prices," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(9), pages 975-987, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdm:wpaper:2008-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dirección de Sistemas)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.