An Application of TRAMO-SEATS: Changes in Seasonality and Current Trend-Cycle Assessment: the German Retail Trade Turnover Series
The paper details an application of programs TRAMO and SEATS to seasonal adjustment and trend-cycle estimation. The series considered is the German Retail Trade Turnover series, for which, when adjusting with X12-ARIMA, the Bundesbank had identified two problems. One had to do with heteroscedasticity in the seasonal component, associated with very different moving patterns for some of the months. The other one was related to the stability of the trend-cycle at the end of the series. It is seen how, starting with the fully automatic procedure and adding some simple modifications, the ARIMA-model-based approach of TRAMO-SEATS deals properly with both problems and provides good results, that are stable and robust.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Seasonal Outliers in Time Series," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 9915, Banco de Espa�a.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986.
"Theory ahead of business cycle measurement,"
102, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Edward C. Prescott, 1986. "Theory ahead of business cycle measurement," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall, pages 9-22.
- Prescott, Edward C., 1986. "Theory ahead of business-cycle measurement," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 11-44, January.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999.
"Estimation of the business cycle: A modified Hodrick-Prescott filter,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 175-206.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Estimation of the Business Cycle: a Modified Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 9912, Banco de Espa�a.
- Findley, David F, et al, 1998. "New Capabilities and Methods of the X-12-ARIMA Seasonal-Adjustment Program," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 127-52, April.
- David A. Pierce, 1978. "Seasonal adjustment when both deterministic and stochastic seasonality are present," Special Studies Papers 107, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David A. Pierce, 1978. "Seasonal Adjustment When Both Deterministic and Stochastic Seasonality Are Present," NBER Chapters, in: Seasonal Analysis of Economic Time Series, pages 242-280 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:0011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.