An Application of TRAMO-SEATS: Changes in Seasonality and Current Trend-Cycle Assessment: the German Retail Trade Turnover Series
The paper details an application of programs TRAMO and SEATS to seasonal adjustment and trend-cycle estimation. The series considered is the German Retail Trade Turnover series, for which, when adjusting with X12-ARIMA, the Bundesbank had identified two problems. One had to do with heteroscedasticity in the seasonal component, associated with very different moving patterns for some of the months. The other one was related to the stability of the trend-cycle at the end of the series. It is seen how, starting with the fully automatic procedure and adding some simple modifications, the ARIMA-model-based approach of TRAMO-SEATS deals properly with both problems and provides good results, that are stable and robust.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bde.es/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prescott, Edward C., 1986.
"Theory ahead of business-cycle measurement,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 11-44, January.
- David A. Pierce, 1978. "Seasonal adjustment when both deterministic and stochastic seasonality are present," Special Studies Papers 107, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David A. Pierce, 1978. "Seasonal Adjustment When Both Deterministic and Stochastic Seasonality Are Present," NBER Chapters,in: Seasonal Analysis of Economic Time Series, pages 242-280 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Seasonal Outliers in Time Series," Working Papers 9915, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
- Kaiser, Regina & Maravall, Agustín, 1999. "Seasonal outliers in time series," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 6333, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Findley, David F, et al, 1998. "New Capabilities and Methods of the X-12-ARIMA Seasonal-Adjustment Program," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 16(2), pages 127-152, April.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999.
"Estimation of the business cycle: A modified Hodrick-Prescott filter,"
Spanish Economic Review,
Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 1(2), pages 175-206.
- Regina Kaiser & Agustín Maravall, 1999. "Estimation of the Business Cycle: a Modified Hodrick-Prescott Filter," Working Papers 9912, Banco de España;Working Papers Homepage.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:0011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.