The Behavior of Money velocity in Low and High Inflation Countries
This paper presents a general equilibrium model of money demand where the velocity of money changes in response to endogenous fluctuations in the interest rate. The parameter space can be divided into two subsets: one where velocity is constant as in standard cash-in-advance models, and another one where velocity fluctuates as in Baumol (1952). The model provides an explanation of why, for a sample of 79 countries, the correlation between the velocity of money and the inflation rate appears to be low, unlike common wisdom would suggest. The reason is the diverse transaction technologies available in different economies.
|Date of creation:||03 Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 08193, Bellaterra, Barcelona|
Phone: 34 93 592 1203
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://pareto.uab.cat
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Hodrick & Narayana Kocherlakota & Deborah Lucas, 1989.
"The Variability of Velocity in Cash-In-Advance Models,"
NBER Working Papers
2891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Kocherlakota, Narayana R & Lucas, Deborah, 1991. "The Variability of Velocity in Cash-in-Advance Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 358-84, April.
- Schreft, S L, 1992. "Transaction Costs and the Use of Cash and Credit," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 2(2), pages 283-96, April.
- Marshall, David A, 1992. " Inflation and Asset Returns in a Monetary Economy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1315-42, September.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984.
"Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy,"
628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Fernando Alvarez & Andrew Atkeson, 1996.
"Money and Exchange Rates in the Grossman-Weiss-Rotemberg Model,"
NBER Working Papers
5678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alvarez, Fernando & Atkeson, Andrew, 1997. "Money and exchange rates in the Grossman-Weiss-Rotemberg model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 619-640, December.
- David Romer, 1986. "A Simple General Equilibrium Version of the Baumol-Tobin Model," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(4), pages 663-685.
- Julio J. Rotemberg, 1982.
"A Monetary Equilibrium Model with Transactions Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
0978, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rotemberg, Julio J, 1984. "A Monetary Equilibrium Model with Transactions Costs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(1), pages 40-58, February.
- den Haan, Wouter J & Marcet, Albert, 1990.
"Solving the Stochastic Growth Model by Parameterizing Expectations,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 8(1), pages 31-34, January.
- Wouter Denhaan & Albert Marcet, 1990. "FORTRAN code for Simulation Parameterized Expecations Algorithm," QM&RBC Codes 57, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-20, April.
- Lawrence J. Christiano, 1991. "Modeling the liquidity effect of a money shock," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Win, pages 3-34.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Inflation and Welfare in the Steady State," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(3), pages 561-77, June.
- Grossman, Sanford & Weiss, Laurence, 1983. "A Transactions-Based Model of the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 871-80, December.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Two Illustrations of the Quantity Theory of Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1005-14, December.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
- Hugo Rodríguez, 1998. "The variability of money velocity in a generalized cash-in-advance model," Economics Working Papers 320, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Fernando Alvarez & Andrew Atkeson & Chris Edmond, 2003. "On the Sluggish Response of Prices to Money in an Inventory-Theoretic Model of Money Demand," NBER Working Papers 10016, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guidotti, Pablo E., 1989. "Exchange rate determination, interest rates, and an integrative approach to the demand for money," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 29-45, March.
- Den Haan, Wouter J., 1990. "The optimal inflation path in a Sidrauski-type model with uncertainty," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 389-409, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aub:autbar:600.04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xavier Vila)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.