Investimento Direto Estrangeiro E Impactos Da Alca: Uma Análise Empírica
This paper evaluates the main determinants of the American Foreign Direct Investment (IDE) flows throughout the recent period. We estimate a gravity model for testing the hypothesis that transnational corporations' decisions concerning IDE are influenced by the sector of activity to which they direct their investment (manufacturing or services). In addition, it is verified whether geographic determinants (like the distance between GDP and host countries) and the host country's decision to take part in schemes of economic integration influence or not IDE flows. We also test the hypothesis that the regional location of destination country affects the flows directed to different sectors. Finally, we use our model to simulate the effects of a hypothetical Brazilian and Argentine decision to join the ALCA process on the IDE flows.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 55 21 2709 7154
Web page: http://www.anpec.org.br
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Secretaria da ANPEC Rua Tiradentes, 17 - Ingá Niterói, RJ 24210-510 Brazil|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Brenton & Francesca Di Mauro & Matthias LÃ¼cke, 1999.
"Economic Integration and FDI: An Empirical Analysis of Foreign Investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe,"
Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 95-121, June.
- Brenton, Paul & DiMauro, Francesca & Lücke, Matthias, 1998. "Economic integration and FDI: an empirical analysis of foreign investment in the EU and in Central and Eastern Europe," Kiel Working Papers 890, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- James R. Markusen, 1998. "Multinational Firms, Location and Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(6), pages 733-756, 08.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ernesto H. Stein & Christian Daude, 2003.
"The FTAA and the Location of FDI,"
Research Department Publications
4341, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Ernesto Stein & Christian Daude, 2004. "The FTAA And The Location Of FDI," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 281, Central Bank of Chile.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Christian Daude & Ernesto Stein, 2002. "The FTAA and the Location of FDI," Business School Working Papers diecisiete, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Multinational Firms and The New Trade Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
5036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laszlo Matyas, 1997. "Proper Econometric Specification of the Gravity Model," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 363-368, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anp:en2005:075. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hugo E. A. da Gama Cerqueira)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.