Determinants of football transfers
The analysis of football transfers is hampered by selectivity bias. In most empirical estimations, simple regression is used and selectivity is ignored. In this paper we propose an estimation method that corrects for sample selectivity and allows the use of more observations in a simple manner. The ordered probit estimates point in a similar direction as the estimates from commonly applied estimation techniques but the significance is higher.
|Date of creation:||14 Jan 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Dept. of Econometrics, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Valckenierstraat 65, NL - 1018 XE Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
Web page: http://www.ase.uva.nl/uva-econometrics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan Speight & Dennis Thomas, 1997. "Football league transfers: a comparison of negotiated fees with arbitration settlements," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 41-44.
- Bill Gerrard & Steve Dobson, 2000. "Testing for monopoly rents in the market for playing talent – Evidence from English professional football," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 27(3), pages 142-164, September.
- Bernd Frick, 2007. "The Football Players' Labor Market: Empirical Evidence From The Major European Leagues," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(3), pages 422-446, 07.
- Carmichael, Fiona & Forrest, David & Simmons, Robert, 1999. "The Labour Market in Association Football: Who Gets Transferred and For How Much?," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 125-50, April.
- Simon Medcalfe, 2008. "English league transfer prices: is there a racial dimension? A re-examination with new data," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 865-867.
- Stephen Dobson & Bill Gerrard & Simon Howe, 2000. "The determination of transfer fees in English nonleague football," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(9), pages 1145-1152.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ame:wpaper:1401. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noud P.A. van Giersbergen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.