Explaining Poverty in Uganda: Evidence from the Uganda National Household Survey
The broad aim of the research was to establish a tool for identifying cost effective poverty alleviation strategies in Uganda. The objectives were to test hypotheses on causes of poverty in Uganda and to develop a poverty simulation model for policy analysis. Data for 9,710 households from the 2002/2003 Uganda National Household Survey (UNHS) was used to estimate a semi-log econometric model. The model included 19 households level characteristics and 8 community level characteristics as explanatory variables. The dependent variable was the natural logarithm of household consumption per adult equivalent. The model was estimated at both national and regional (5 regions) by weighted least squares with robust variance. The results identified 8 particularly promising poverty reducing policies namely: expansion of formal employment, secondary education, reduction in population growth, rural electrification, off-farm activities, collateral free credit, telephone services and reducing distance to community services. The study highlights the policy implications of the results.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o FORMAT, 5th Floor, Muthaiga Mini Market, Limuru Road, P.O. Box 79 - 00621 Village Market, Nairobi, Kenya|
Phone: 254 20 6752866
Web page: http://www.aaae-africa.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Appleton & Tom Emwanu & Johnson Kagugube & James Muwonge, 1999. "Changes in poverty in Uganda, 1992-1997," CSAE Working Paper Series 1999-22, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Todd Benson & Charles Machinjili & Lawrence Kachikopa, 2004.
"Poverty in Malawi, 1998,"
Development Southern Africa,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 419-441.
- Benson, Todd & Machinjili, Charles & Kachikopa, Lawrence, 2004. "Poverty in Malawi, 1998," FCND discussion papers 183, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Benson, Todd & Machinjili, Charles & Kachikopa, Lawrence, 2004. "Poverty in Malawi, 1998," FCND briefs 183, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-766, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaaeke:9537. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.