Relationships between centrality measures and VCG mechanism
In this work we show that some recent centrality measures in network analysis are exactly an application of the principles underlying the Vickrey-Clarke-Groves (VCG) mechanism. We then present specific examples of completely different frameworks which highlights how these centrality measures ˆ la VCG can indeed provide valuable information to fairly assess the importance of the analyzed network elements. However, by taking inspiration from the relevant literature on the VCG auction design, we verify that in general cases centrality measures ˆ la VCG can determine a poor estimate of the actual significance of some network elements; therefore, we provide a general approach to effectively improve such estimates, based on applying the VCG rule to suitable groups of elements of the network.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +390677274140|
Fax: +39 0677274129
Web page: http://www.dis.uniroma1.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence M. Ausubel & Paul Milgrom, 2002.
"Ascending Auctions with Package Bidding,"
02004, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521536721 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gómez, Daniel & Figueira, José Rui & Eusébio, Augusto, 2013. "Modeling centrality measures in social network analysis using bi-criteria network flow optimization problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(2), pages 354-365.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- William Vickrey, 1961. "Counterspeculation, Auctions, And Competitive Sealed Tenders," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 16(1), pages 8-37, 03.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521551847 is not listed on IDEAS
- Groves, Theodore, 1973. "Incentives in Teams," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 617-31, July.
- Edward Clarke, 1971. "Multipart pricing of public goods," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 17-33, September.
- Avenali, Alessandro, 2009. "Exploring the VCG mechanism in combinatorial auctions: The threshold revenue and the threshold-price rule," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 199(1), pages 262-275, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aeg:report:2014-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonietta Angelica Zucconi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.