Asymptotic theory for Brownian semi-stationary processes with application to turbulence
This paper presents some asymptotic results for statistics of Brownian semi-stationary (BSS) processes. More precisely, we consider power variations of BSS processes, which are based on high frequency (possibly higher order) differences of the BSS model. We review the limit theory discussed in [Barndorff-Nielsen, O.E., J.M. Corcuera and M. Podolskij (2011): Multipower variation for Brownian semistationary processes. Bernoulli 17(4), 1159-1194; Barndorff-Nielsen, O.E., J.M. Corcuera and M. Podolskij (2012): Limit theorems for functionals of higher order differences of Brownian semi-stationary processes. In "Prokhorov and Contemporary Probability Theory", Springer.] and present some new connections to fractional diffusion models. We apply our probabilistic results to construct a family of estimators for the smoothness parameter of the BSS process. In this context we develop estimates with gaps, which allow to obtain a valid central limit theorem for the critical region. Finally, we apply our statistical theory to turbulence data.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel Lang & François Roueff, 2001. "Semi-parametric Estimation of the Hölder Exponent of a Stationary Gaussian Process with Minimax Rates," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 283-306, October.
- Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2010.
"Understanding limit theorems for semimartingales: a short survey,"
Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 64(s1), pages 329-351.
- Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2009. "Understanding limit theorems for semimartingales: a short survey," CREATES Research Papers 2009-47, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Jacod, Jean, 2008. "Asymptotic properties of realized power variations and related functionals of semimartingales," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(4), pages 517-559, April.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & José Manuel Corcuera & Mark Podolskij, 2009. "Multipower Variation for Brownian Semistationary Processes," CREATES Research Papers 2009-21, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2012-52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.