Asymptotic theory for Brownian semi-stationary processes with application to turbulence
This paper presents some asymptotic results for statistics of Brownian semi-stationary (BSS) processes. More precisely, we consider power variations of BSS processes, which are based on high frequency (possibly higher order) differences of the BSS model. We review the limit theory discussed in [Barndorff-Nielsen, O.E., J.M. Corcuera and M. Podolskij (2011): Multipower variation for Brownian semistationary processes. Bernoulli 17(4), 1159-1194; Barndorff-Nielsen, O.E., J.M. Corcuera and M. Podolskij (2012): Limit theorems for functionals of higher order differences of Brownian semi-stationary processes. In "Prokhorov and Contemporary Probability Theory", Springer.] and present some new connections to fractional diffusion models. We apply our probabilistic results to construct a family of estimators for the smoothness parameter of the BSS process. In this context we develop estimates with gaps, which allow to obtain a valid central limit theorem for the critical region. Finally, we apply our statistical theory to turbulence data.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacod, Jean, 2008. "Asymptotic properties of realized power variations and related functionals of semimartingales," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 118(4), pages 517-559, April.
- Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2009.
"Understanding limit theorems for semimartingales: a short survey,"
CREATES Research Papers
2009-47, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Mark Podolskij & Mathias Vetter, 2010. "Understanding limit theorems for semimartingales: a short survey," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 64(s1), pages 329-351.
- Gabriel Lang & François Roueff, 2001. "Semi-parametric Estimation of the Hölder Exponent of a Stationary Gaussian Process with Minimax Rates," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 283-306, October.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & José Manuel Corcuera & Mark Podolskij, 2009. "Multipower Variation for Brownian Semistationary Processes," CREATES Research Papers 2009-21, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aah:create:2012-52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.