Interpretation of rural savings behaviour: a cautionary tale
A number of studies have explored the relationship between uncertainty and savings behaviour amongst resource-poor farmers. This paper describes the results of such a study for five villages in the Ibaji area of Igalaland, Kogi State, Nigeria. Savings behaviour over a 20-year period was examined in the face of two severe types of shock: flooding and land war. The results suggest that although the macroeconomic climate in Nigeria could explain some general trends in savings behaviour, some clear peaks in activity were not due to shocks but to operational changes introduced by the non-government organization facilitating the savings scheme-the Diocesan Development Services (DDS). The results suggest that great care needs to be taken when interpreting such time-series data, especially as one peak in savings activity corresponded with the period of the land war. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gersovitz, Mark, 1988. "Saving and development," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 381-424 Elsevier.
- Paxson, Christina H, 1992. "Using Weather Variability to Estimate the Response of Savings to Transitory Income in Thailand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 15-33, March.
- Stuart Rutherford, 1998. "The savings of the poor: improving financial services in Bangladesh," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(1), pages 1-15.
- Alderman, Harold, 1996. "Saving and economic shocks in rural Pakistan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 343-365, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:12:y:2000:i:1:p:29-43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.