Old Insights and New Approaches: Fertility Analysis and Tempo Adjustment in the Age-Parity Model
In this article we provide an overview of traditional and recent methods for the investigation of period fertility, emphasising in particular aspects of the analysis that are relevant in contemporary low and lowest-low fertility contexts. For this purpose, we present a new approach that integrates traditional measures of fertility, such as the TFR, in a versatile manner with (a) the tempo adjustment of fertility that corrects for distortions due to the rapid postponement of fertility, (b) life-table measures of fertility that eliminate influences caused by the parity composition of the population, and (c) methods for cohort completion and projection that provide a consistent and demographically correct mapping of recent period fertility patterns on the future childbearing behaviour of women still in their childbearing years.
Volume (Year): 2 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.oeaw.ac.at/vid/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- N. Ryder, 1964. "The process of demographic translation," Demography, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 74-82, March.
- Evert Imhoff & Nico Keilman, 2000. "On the Quantum and Tempo of Fertility: Comment," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 26(3), pages 549-553.
- Young J. Kim & Robert Schoen, 2000. "On the Quantum and Tempo of Fertility: Limits to the Bongaarts-Feeney Adjustment," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 26(3), pages 554-559.
- Hans-Peter Kohler & José Antonio Ortega, 2002. "Tempo-Adjusted Period Parity Progression Measures:," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 6(7), pages 145-190, March.
- John Bongaarts & Griffith Feeney, 2000. "On the Quantum and Tempo of Fertility: Reply," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 26(3), pages 560-564.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vid:yearbk:v:2:y:2004:i:1:p:57-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Kolesnik)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.