What Is the True Loss Due to Piracy? Evidence from Microsoft Office in Hong Kong
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version below or search for a different version of it.
Other versions of this item:
- Leung, Tin Cheuk, 2011. "What is the True Loss Due to Piracy?: Evidence from Microsoft Office in Hong Kong," MPRA Paper 32597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
References listed on IDEAS
- James Bessen & Robert M. Hunt, 2007. "An Empirical Look at Software Patents," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 157-189, March.
- Rob, Rafael & Waldfogel, Joel, 2006.
"Piracy on the High C's: Music Downloading, Sales Displacement, and Social Welfare in a Sample of College Students,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(1), pages 29-62, April.
- Rafael Rob & Joel Waldfogel, 2004. "Piracy on the High C's: Music Downloading, Sales Displacement, and Social Welfare in a Sample of College Students," NBER Working Papers 10874, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlsson, Fredrik & Martinsson, Peter, 2001. "Do Hypothetical and Actual Marginal Willingness to Pay Differ in Choice Experiments?: Application to the Valuation of the Environment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 179-192, March.
- Boldrin,Michele & Levine,David K., 2010.
"Against Intellectual Monopoly,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521127264, April.
- Chen, Yongmin & Puttitanun, Thitima, 2005. "Intellectual property rights and innovation in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 474-493, December.
- Hensher, David & Louviere, Jordan & Swait, Joffre, 1998. "Combining sources of preference data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1-2), pages 197-221, November.
- Grossman, Gene M & Shapiro, Carl, 1988. "Counterfeit-Product Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(1), pages 59-75, March.
- Hui Kai-Lung & Png Ivan, 2003. "Piracy and the Legitimate Demand for Recorded Music," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Ginarte, Juan C. & Park, Walter G., 1997. "Determinants of patent rights: A cross-national study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-301, October.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July.
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304, April.
- Eleanor McDonnell Feit & Mark A. Beltramo & Fred M. Feinberg, 2010. "Reality Check: Combining Choice Experiments with Market Data to Estimate the Importance of Product Attributes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(5), pages 785-800, May.
- Yi Qian, 2008. "Impacts of Entry by Counterfeiters," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1577-1609.
- Gene M. Grossman & Carl Shapiro, 1986. "Foreign Counterfeiting of Status Goods," NBER Working Papers 1915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Felix Oberholzer-Gee & Koleman Strumpf, 2007. "The Effect of File Sharing on Record Sales: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 115, pages 1-42.
- Louviere, Jordan J & Hensher, David A, 1983. " Using Discrete Choice Models with Experimental Design Data to Forecast Consumer Demand for a Unique Cultural Event," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(3), pages 348-361, December.
- Marron, Donald B & Steel, David G, 2000. "Which Countries Protect Intellectual Property? The Case of Software Piracy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(2), pages 159-174, April.
- Gene M. Grossman & Carl Shapiro, 1988. "Foreign Counterfeiting of Status Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(1), pages 79-100.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chao, Hong & Ho, Chun-Yu & Leung, Tin Cheuk & Ng, Travis, 2017.
"To root or not to root? The economics of jailbreak,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 481-497.
- Leung, Tin Cheuk & Ng, Travis & Ho, Chun-Yu & Chao, Hong, 2013. "To Root or Not to Root? The Economics of Jailbreak," MPRA Paper 47409, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leung, Tin Cheuk, 2015.
"Music piracy: Bad for record sales but good for the iPod?,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 1-12.
- Leung, Tin Cheuk, 2012. "Music Piracy: Bad for Record Sales but Good for the iPod?," MPRA Paper 45772, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carsten Fink & Keith E. Maskus & Yi Qian, 2016.
"The Economic Effects of Counterfeiting and Piracy: A Review and Implications for Developing Countries,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 31(1), pages 1-28.
- Fink,Carsten & Maskus,Keith E. & Qian,Yi, 2016. "The economic effects of counterfeiting and piracy : a review and implications for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 7586, The World Bank.
More about this item
KeywordsBusiness Software Alliance; intellectual property enforcement; Microsoft Office; software piracy;
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
- O34 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Innovation; Research and Development; Technological Change; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property and Intellectual Capital
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:95:y:2013:i:3:p:1018-1029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristin Waites). General contact details of provider: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.