Some claims made for critical realism in economics: two case studies
Instead of examining critical realism directly, this essay critically examines claims made by two prominent critical realists, namely Andrew Collier and Tony Lawson, on behalf of their philosophy. These are (a) that critical realism supports Marx's law of the tendency of the rate of profit to fall, and (b) that critical realism is illustrated by the workplace organization theory of the relative decline of the British economy. It is argued that the first claim is false and the second is unsubstantiated. Furthermore, propositions that are rejected by Collier and Lawson are shown in fact to be consistent with critical realism. These two case studies raise important questions concerning the claims made for critical realism on behalf of its adherents. Some questions are also posed concerning the character of critical realism as a movement.
Volume (Year): 11 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RJEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blaug,Mark, 1997. "Economic Theory in Retrospect," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521577014, Diciembre.
- Bernard Walters & David Young, 1999. "Is Critical Realism the Appropriate Basis for Post Keynesianism?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 22(1), pages 105-123, October.
- Downward, Paul, 2000. "A Realist Appraisal of Post-Keynesian Pricing Theory," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(2), pages 211-224, March.
- Marina Colonna & Harald Hagemann, 1995. "The Economics of F.A. Hayek," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 101.
- Kilpatrick, Andrew & Lawson, Tony, 1980. "On the Nature of Industrial Decline in the UK," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 85-102, March.
- Runde, Jochen, 1998. "Assessing Causal Economic Explanations," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(2), pages 151-172, April.
- Baert, Patrick, 1996. "Realist Philosophy of the Social Sciences and Economics: A Critique," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(5), pages 513-522, September.
- Stephanie Blankenburg & Clive Lawson & Tony Lawson & Paul Lewis & Stephen Pratten & Jochen Runde, 2002. "Introduction," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(6), pages 679-681, November.
- Hodgson, Geoff, 1989. "Institutional Rigidities and Economic Growth," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 79-101, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jecmet:v:11:y:2004:i:1:p:53-73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.