Passive timing effect in portfolio management
The primary objective of the present study is to analyse the extent of the passive timing effect in portfolio management. This effect is produced when a portfolio which is not managed actively shows signs of instability in its level of systematic risk. By contrast, market timing involves active management of the portfolio and therefore changes to the level of systematic risk in order to anticipate market movements in an appropriate manner. This study proposes a dynamic beta model which incorporates the effect of passive timing attributable to the accumulated evolution of weightings for the assets that make up the portfolio. The results demonstrate the importance of this effect when applying performance and market timing measures in order to evaluate portfolio results, such as those of mutual funds.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 17 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goetzmann, William N. & Ingersoll, Jonathan & Ivković, Zoran, 2000.
"Monthly Measurement of Daily Timers,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 257-290, September.
- Gregory Connor and Robert A. Korajczyk., 1988. "The Attributes, Behavior and Performance of U.S. Mutual Funds," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 181, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bruce N. Lehmann & David M. Modest, 1985. "Mutual Fund Performance Evaluation: A Comparison of Benchmarks and Benchmark Comparisons," NBER Working Papers 1721, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, Eric C & Lewellen, Wilbur G, 1984. "Market Timing and Mutual Fund Investment Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 57-72, January.
- Lehmann, Bruce N & Modest, David M, 1987. " Mutual Fund Performance Evaluation: A Comparison of Benchmarks and Benchmark Comparisons," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 233-65, June.
- repec:bla:jbfnac:v:25:y:1998:i:5&6:p:721-745 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Korajczyk, Robert A, 1986. "Assessing the Market Timing Performance of Managed Portfolios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 217-35, April.
- Henriksson, Roy D, 1984. "Market Timing and Mutual Fund Performance: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(1), pages 73-96, January.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 1996.
"Market timing ability and volatility implied in investment newsletters' asset allocation recommendations,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 397-421, November.
- John R. Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 1997. "Market Timing Ability and Volatility Implied in Investment Newletters' Asset Allocation Recommendations," NBER Working Papers 4890, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark Grinblatt & Sheridan Titman, . "Portfolio Performance Evaluation: Old Issues and New Insights," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 22-88, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Henriksson, Roy D & Merton, Robert C, 1981. "On Market Timing and Investment Performance. II. Statistical Procedures for Evaluating Forecasting Skills," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 513-33, October.
- Coggin, T Daniel & Fabozzi, Frank J & Rahman, Shafiqur, 1993. " The Investment Performance of U.S. Equity Pension Fund Managers: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 1039-55, July.
- Alexander, Gordon J. & Chervany, Norman L., 1980. "On the Estimation and Stability of Beta," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(01), pages 123-137, March.
- R.W. Faff & R.D. Brooks, 1998. "Time-varying Beta Risk for Australian Industry Portfolios: An Exploratory Analysis," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5&6), pages 721-745.
- Admati, Anat R & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "Measuring Investment Performance in a Rational Expectations Equilibrium Model," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Kon, Stanley J & Lau, W Patrick, 1979. "Specification Tests for Portfolio Regression Parameter Stationarity and the Implications for Empirical Research," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(2), pages 451-65, May.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. " Differential Information and Performance Measurement Using a Security Market Line," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 383-99, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:17:p:1829-1837. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.