Much ado about nothing? Smoking bans and Germany's hospitality industry
Over the past years, public smoking bans have been introduced in most European countries. Unlike elsewhere, in Germany such bans were introduced at state level at different points in time, which provides important intra-country regional variation that can be exploited to identify the effects of such bans on the hospitality industry. Using monthly data from a compulsory survey carried out by the German Federal Statistical Office, we study the short-run effects that these bans had on establishments’ sales. In contrast to the largely US-based literature, we find that smoke-free policies had a negative (yet moderate) effect on establishment sales. Closure rates of businesses in the hospitality industry, however, were not significantly affected by the introduction of state smoking bans.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 44 (2012)
Issue (Month): 35 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David W. Cowling & Philip Bond, 2005. "Smoke-free laws and bar revenues in California - the last call," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(12), pages 1273-1281.
- Jerome Adda & Francesca Cornaglia, 2005.
"The effects of taxes and bans on passive smoking,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP20/05, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Jérôme Adda & Francesca Cornaglia, 2006. "The Effect of Taxes and Bans on Passive Smoking," CEPR Discussion Papers 509, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
- Adda, Jérôme & Cornaglia, Francesca, 2006. "The Effect of Taxes and Bans on Passive Smoking," IZA Discussion Papers 2191, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ahlfeldt Gabriel M. & Maennig Wolfgang, 2010.
"Impact of Non-smoking Ordinances on Hospitality Revenues: The Case of Germany,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
De Gruyter, vol. 230(5), pages 506-521, October.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2009. "Impact of Non-Smoking Ordinances on Hospitality Revenues: The Case of Germany," Working Papers 026, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Benjamin C. Alamar & Stanton A. Glantz, 2004. "Smoke-free Ordinances Increase Restaurant Profit and Value," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 22(4), pages 520-525, October.
- JÃ©rÃ´me Adda & Francesca Cornaglia, 2009.
"The effect of bans and taxes on passive smoking,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
28679, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- John Dunham & Michael Marlow, 2003. "The economic incidence of smoking laws," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(18), pages 1935-1942.
- Adams Scott & Cotti Chad D., 2007. "The Effect of Smoking Bans on Bars and Restaurants: An Analysis of Changes in Employment," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-34, February.
- Robert K. Fleck & F. Andrew Hanssen, 2008. "Why Understanding Smoking Bans Is Important For Estimating Their Effects: California'S Restaurant Smoking Bans And Restaurant Sales," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(1), pages 60-76, 01.
- Alamar, B C & Glantz, Stanton A. Ph.D., 2004. "Smoke-free ordinances increase restaurant profit and value," University of California at San Francisco, Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education qt91w950j4, Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, UC San Francisco.
- Kvasnicka, Michael & Tauchmann, Harald, 2010. "Eine Befragung von Gastronomiebetrieben zur Einführung von Rauchverboten: Deskriptive Ergebnisse," RWI Materialien 58, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung.
- Rajeev K. Goel & Michael A. Nelson, 2006. "The Effectiveness of Anti-Smoking Legislation: A Review," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 325-355, 07.
- Michael R. Pakko, 2005.
"No smoking at the slot machines: the effect of a smoke-free law on Delaware gaming revenues,"
2005-054, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michael Pakko, 2008. "No smoking at the slot machines: the effect of a smoke-free law on Delaware gaming revenues," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(14), pages 1769-1774.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:44:y:2012:i:35:p:4539-4551. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.