Inferences on the ratio of two generalized variances: independent and correlated cases
Statistical inferences about the dispersion of multivariate population are determined by generalized variance. In this article, we consider constructing a confidence interval and testing the hypotheses about the ratio of two independent generalized variances, and the ratio of two dependent generalized variances in two multivariate normal populations. In the case of independence, we first propose a computational approach and then obtain an approximate approach. In the case of dependence, we give an approach using the concepts of generalized confidence interval and generalized p value. In each case, simulation studies are performed for comparing the methods and we find satisfactory results. Practical examples are given for each approach. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.sis-statistica.it/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/10260/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Iliopoulos, 2001. "Decision Theoretic Estimation of the Ratio of Variances in a Bivariate Normal Distribution," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 53(3), pages 436-446, September.
- Sarkar, Sanat K., 1989. "On improving the shortest length confidence interval for the generalized variance," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 136-147, October.
- Iliopoulos, George, 2008. "UMVU estimation of the ratio of powers of normal generalized variances under correlation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(6), pages 1051-1069, July.
- Ram Tripathi & Ramesh Gupta & John Gurland, 1994. "Estimation of parameters in the beta binomial model," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 46(2), pages 317-331, June.
- SenGupta, Ashis, 1987. "Tests for standardized generalized variances of multivariate normal populations of possibly different dimensions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 209-219, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:stmapp:v:21:y:2012:i:3:p:297-314. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.