Optimal unbiased estimation of some population central moments
In this paper, we have treated the problem of estimating some population central moments under distribution-free setting. Uniformly minimum variance unbiased estimators for some population central moments have been derived. Some examples of unbiased estimators of central moments have been given under various sampling designs such as simple random sampling with replacement (srsr) or without replacement (srs), probability proportional to size with replacement (ppsr) and probability graduated variable proportional to size without replacement (pgvps). An optimal unbiased estimator of the third population central moment is proposed and extended to some real situations. Some optimal unbiased estimators of the fourth population central moment are given. Several optimal unbiased estimators of the variance of the “sample quasivariance estimator” are identified. Finally, computer programs in R implementing all of the estimators are given. Copyright Sapienza Università di Roma 2013
Volume (Year): 71 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.uniroma1.it/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/40300|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angela Montanari & Cinzia Viroli, 2010. "A skew-normal factor model for the analysis of student satisfaction towards university courses," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 473-487.
- Sarjinder Singh, 2001. "Generalized Calibration Approach for Estimating Variance in Survey Sampling," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 53(2), pages 404-417, June.
- Campbell Harvey & John Liechty & Merrill Liechty & Peter Muller, 2010. "Portfolio selection with higher moments," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 469-485.
- Annaliisa Kankainen & Sara Taskinen & Hannu Oja, 2007. "Tests of multinormality based on location vectors and scatter matrices," Statistical Methods & Applications, Springer;Società Italiana di Statistica, vol. 16(3), pages 357-379, November.
- Guiso, Luigi & Jappelli, Tullio & Pistaferri, Luigi, 2002. "An Empirical Analysis of Earnings and Employment Risk," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 241-53, April.
- Ping Wu & Li Xing Zhu, 2010. "An Orthogonality-Based Estimation of Moments for Linear Mixed Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 37(2), pages 253-263.
- Cem Kadilar & Yesim Unyazici & Hulya Cingi, 2009. "Ratio estimator for the population mean using ranked set sampling," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 50(2), pages 301-309, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:metron:v:71:y:2013:i:1:p:39-62. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.