Variable selection for joint mean and dispersion models of the inverse Gaussian distribution
The choice of distribution is often made on the basis of how well the data appear to be fitted by the distribution. The inverse Gaussian distribution is one of the basic models for describing positively skewed data which arise in a variety of applications. In this paper, the problem of interest is simultaneously parameter estimation and variable selection for joint mean and dispersion models of the inverse Gaussian distribution. We propose a unified procedure which can simultaneously select significant variables in mean and dispersion model. With appropriate selection of the tuning parameters, we establish the consistency of this procedure and the oracle property of the regularized estimators. Simulation studies and a real example are used to illustrate the proposed methodologies. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 75 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102509 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansheng Wang & Runze Li & Chih-Ling Tsai, 2007. "Tuning parameter selectors for the smoothly clipped absolute deviation method," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 94(3), pages 553-568.
- Fan J. & Li R., 2001. "Variable Selection via Nonconcave Penalized Likelihood and its Oracle Properties," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1348-1360, December.
- Harvey, A C, 1976. "Estimating Regression Models with Multiplicative Heteroscedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(3), pages 461-65, May.
- Jin-Guan Lin & Bo-Cheng Wei & Nan-Song Zhang, 2004. "Varying Dispersion Diagnostics for Inverse Gaussian Regression Models," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(10), pages 1157-1170.
- Zhao, Peixin & Xue, Liugen, 2010. "Variable selection for semiparametric varying coefficient partially linear errors-in-variables models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(8), pages 1872-1883, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:metrik:v:75:y:2012:i:6:p:795-808. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.