Monte Carlo simulation of macroeconomic risk with a continuum of agents: the symmetric case
Suppose a large economy with individual risk is modeled by a continuum of pairwise exchangeable random variables (i.i.d., in particular). Then the relevant stochastic process is jointly measurable only in degenerate cases. Yet in Monte Carlo simulation, the average of a large finite draw of the random variables converges almost surely. Several necessary and sufficient conditions for such “Monte Carlo convergence” are given. Also, conditioned on the associated Monte Carlo -algebra, which represents macroeconomic risk, individual agents' random shocks are independent. Furthermore, a converse to one version of the classical law of large numbers is proved. Copyright Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2003
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/economic+theory/journal/199/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chamberlain, Gary, 2000. "Econometrics and decision theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 255-283, April.
- McCall, John J., 1991. "Exchangeability and its economic applications," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 549-568, July.
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1996. "Rational Beliefs and Endogenous Uncertainty," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 8(3), pages 383-397, October.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Ehud Kalai & Rann Smorodinsky, 1999.
"Bayesian Representation of Stochastic Processes under Learning: de Finetti Revisited,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(4), pages 875-894, July.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Ehud Kalai & Rann Smorodinsky, 1998. "Bayesian Representation of Stochastic Processes under Learning: de Finetti Revisited," Discussion Papers 1228, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Peter J. Hammond & Yeneng Sun, 2000. "Joint Measurability and the One-way Fubini Property for a Continuum of Independent Random Variables," Working Papers 00008, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Carsten Krabbe Nielsen, 1996.
"Rational belief structures and rational belief equilibria (*),"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 8(3), pages 399-422.
- Carsten Krabbe Nielsen, 1995. "Rational Belief Structures and Rational Belief Equilibrium," Discussion Papers 95-14, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Anderson, Robert M., 1991. "Non-standard analysis with applications to economics," Handbook of Mathematical Economics,in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 39, pages 2145-2208 Elsevier.
- M. Ali Khan & Yeneng Sun, 1999. "Weak measurability and characterizations of risk," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 13(3), pages 541-560.
- Mordecai Kurz & Martin Schneider, 1996. "Coordination and correlation in Markov rational belief equilibria (*)," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 8(3), pages 489-520.
- Kutz, M. & Schneider, M., 1996. "Coordination and Correlation in Markov Rational Belief Equilibria," Papers 281, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Kohlberg, Elon & Reny, Philip J., 1997. "Independence on Relative Probability Spaces and Consistent Assessments in Game Trees," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 280-313, August.
- Feldman, Mark & Gilles, Christian, 1985. "An expository note on individual risk without aggregate uncertainty," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 26-32, February.
- Hans M. Amman & David A. Kendrick, . "Computational Economics," Online economics textbooks, SUNY-Oswego, Department of Economics, number comp1. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)