An Early Anticipation of Smart Growth? John Stuart Mill, Knowledge and the ‘East-West’ Distinction
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Leszek Balcerowicz & Andrzej Rzonca, 2015. "Puzzles of Economic Growth," World Bank Publications - Books, The World Bank Group, number 20601, December.
- John Marangos (ed.), 2012. "Alternative Perspectives of a Good Society," Perspectives from Social Economics, Palgrave Macmillan, number 978-0-230-33780-0, December.
- Agnar Sandmo, 2015. "Editor's Choice The Early History of Environmental Economics," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 9(1), pages 43-63.
- Malthus, Thomas Robert, 1798. "An Essay on the Principle of Population," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number malthus1798.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Halkos, George & Managi, Shunsuke, 2023. "New developments in the disciplines of environmental and resource economics," Economic Analysis and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 77(C), pages 513-522.
- James A. Brander, 2007. "Viewpoint: Sustainability: Malthus revisited?," Canadian Journal of Economics/Revue canadienne d'économique, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 40(1), pages 1-38, February.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2021.
"Are We Approaching an Economic Singularity? Information Technology and the Future of Economic Growth,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 299-332, January.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2015. "Are We Approaching an Economic Singularity" Information Technology and the Future of Economic Growth," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 2021, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2015. "Are We Approaching an Economic Singularity? Information Technology and the Future of Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 21547, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pérez-Sánchez, Laura & Velasco-Fernández, Raúl & Giampietro, Mario, 2021. "The international division of labor and embodied working time in trade for the US, the EU and China," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 180(C).
- Franco, Marco P.V. & Gaspard, Marion & Mueller, Thomas, 2019.
"Time discounting in Harold Hotelling's approach to natural resource economics: The unsolved ethical question,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 163(C), pages 52-60.
- Marco P. V. Franco & Marion Gaspard & Thomas Mueller, 2019. "Time discounting in Harold Hotelling's approach to natural resource economics: the unsolved ethical question," Post-Print halshs-02169727, HAL.
- Piotr Ciżkowicz & Andrzej Rzońca, 2015. "Inflation Targeting and its Discontents: The Case of Poland," Acta Oeconomica, Akadémiai Kiadó, Hungary, vol. 65(supplemen), pages 107-122, December.
- David Lam, 2011. "How the World Survived the Population Bomb: Lessons From 50 Years of Extraordinary Demographic History," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 48(4), pages 1231-1262, November.
- Barbier , Edward B., 2020. "From Limits to Growth to Planetary Boundaries: The Evolution of Economic Views on Natural Resource Scarcity," 2020 Conference (64th), February 12-14, 2020, Perth, Western Australia 305259, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Di Maria, Corrado & Lazarova, Emiliya A., 2012.
"Migration, Human Capital Formation, and Growth: An Empirical Investigation,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 938-955.
- Corrado Di Maria & Emiliya Lazarova, 2010. "Migration, Human Capital Formation and Growth: an Empirical Investigation," Economics Working Papers 10-03, Queen's Management School, Queen's University Belfast.
- Francesco Cinnirella & Marc P. B. Klemp & Jacob L. Weisdorf, 2012.
"Malthus in the Bedroom: Birth Spacing as a Preventive Check Mechanism in Pre-Modern England,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
- Weisdorf, Jacob & Cinnirella, Francesco & Klemp, Marc, 2012. "Malthus in the Bedroom: Birth Spacing as a Preventive Check Mechanism in Pre-Modern England," CEPR Discussion Papers 9116, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cinnirella, Francesco & Klemp, Marc P. B. & Weisdorf, Jacob L., 2013. "Malthus in the Bedroom: Birth Spacing as a Preventive Check Mechanism in Pre-Modern England," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 174, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Joanna Wiśniewska & Joanna Markiewicz, 2021. "The Impact of Poland’s Energy Transition on the Strategies of Fossil Fuel Sector Companies—The Example of PKN Orlen Group," Energies, MDPI, vol. 14(22), pages 1, November.
- Raskin, Paul D., 1995. "Methods for estimating the population contribution to environmental change," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 225-233, December.
- Castells-Quintana, David & Dienesch, Elisa & Krause, Melanie, 2021.
"Air pollution in an urban world: A global view on density, cities and emissions,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 189(C).
- David Castells-Quintana & Elisa Dienesch & Melanie Krause, 2021. "Air pollution in an urban world: A global view on density, cities and emissions," Post-Print hal-03361637, HAL.
- N/A, 2016. "Books Received (Current as of Winter 2017)," Review of Radical Political Economics, Union for Radical Political Economics, vol. 48(4), pages 685-687, December.
- Hrozencik, R. Aaron, 2018. "Energy, Food, and Water; Electricity Cooperative Pricing and Groundwater Irrigation Decisions," 2018 Annual Meeting, August 5-7, Washington, D.C. 274322, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Franco, Juan Agustín & Gaspar, Paula & Mesias, Francisco Javier, 2012. "Economic analysis of scenarios for the sustainability of extensive livestock farming in Spain under the CAP," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(C), pages 120-129.
- Samuel Fankhauser & Nicholas Stern, 2016. "Climate change, development, poverty and economics," GRI Working Papers 253, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Cummins, Neil, 2020. "The micro-evidence for the Malthusian system. France, 1670–1840," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 129(C).
- Krausmann, Fridolin & Schandl, Heinz & Sieferle, Rolf Peter, 2008.
"Socio-ecological regime transitions in Austria and the United Kingdom,"
Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 187-201, March.
- Fridolin Krausmann & Heinz Schandl & Rolf Peter Sieferle, 2007. "Socio-Ecological Regime Transitions in Austria and the United Kingdom," Socio-Economics and the Environment in Discussion (SEED) Working Paper Series 2007-05, CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems.
- Hans. Jensen, 1999. "The Development of T.R. Malthus's Institutionlist Approach to the Cure of Proverty: From Punishment of the Poor to Investment in Their Human Capital," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 57(4), pages 450-465.
More about this item
KeywordsSmart growth; Knowledge; Stationary State; J.S. Mill;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jknowl:v:13:y:2022:i:3:d:10.1007_s13132-021-00809-7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Sonal Shukla or Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.