ROE and Value Creation under IAS/IFRS: Evidence of Discordance from French Firms
This paper re-examines the effects that adoption of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) has had on financial reporting of French listed firms. By analysing the 2004 financial statements of CAC 40 companies, we show that the transition to the IAS/IFRS has a significant impact on the return on equity (ROE) of considered firms by increasing it by 25 basis points on average, compared to the French GAAP. This finding thus suggests an amplified degree of discordance between the ROE, as a crucial measure of firm performance, and the value creation process following the IFRS adoption. From a theoretical viewpoint, Merton (1987)’s capital asset pricing model (CAPM) with incomplete information, which claims its convergence to its traditional version through the reduction of information costs, cannot in fact be valid, owing to divergences in the assessment of a firm’s performance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2010 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: nam. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3|
Phone: (02) 24 09 51 11
Fax: (02) 24 22 06 57
Web page: http://www.vse.cz/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: European Financial and Accounting Journal, University of Economics, Prague, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Prague 3, Czech Republic|
Web: http://www.vse.cz/efaj/ Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2009.
"Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?,"
NBER Working Papers
15515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Laux & Christian Leuz, 2010. "Did Fair-Value Accounting Contribute to the Financial Crisis?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 93-118, Winter.
- Laux, Christian & Leuz, Christian, 2009. "Did fair-value accounting contribute to the financial crisis?," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/22, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Ding, Yuan & Hervé, Stolowy & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas, 2005.
"Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: measurement, determinants and implications,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
826, HEC Paris.
- Ding, Yuan & Hope, Ole-Kristian & Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Herve, 2007. "Differences between domestic accounting standards and IAS: Measurement, determinants and implications," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 1-38.
- Thomas Jeanjean & Hervé Stolowy & Y. Ding & O. K. Hope, 2007. "Differences between Domestic Accounting Standards and IAS: Measurement, Determinants and Implications," Post-Print halshs-00126772, HAL.
- Yuan Ding & Ole-Kristian Hope & Thomas Jeanjean & Hervé Stolowy, 2005. "Differences between Domestic Accounting Standards and IAS: Measurement, Determinants and Implications," Working Papers hal-00584707, HAL.
- Jiraporn, Pornsit & Miller, Gary A. & Yoon, Soon Suk & Kim, Young S., 2008. "Is earnings management opportunistic or beneficial? An agency theory perspective," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 622-634, June.
- Geoffrey Whittington, 2005. "The adoption of International Accounting Standards in the European Union," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 127-153.
- Merton, Robert C., 1987.
"A simple model of capital market equilibrium with incomplete information,"
1869-87., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1987. " A Simple Model of Capital Market Equilibrium with Incomplete Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 483-510, July.
- Katherine Schipper, 2005. "The introduction of International Accounting Standards in Europe: Implications for international convergence," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 101-126.
- Peterson, David R & Peterson, Pamela P, 1995. "Abnormal Returns and Analysts' Earnings Forecast Revisions Associated with the Publication of "Stock Highlights" by Value Line Investment Survey," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 18(4), pages 465-477, Winter.
- Anna-Maija Lantto & Petri Sahlström, 2009. "Impact of International Financial Reporting Standard adoption on key financial ratios," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 49(2), pages 341-361.
- Bushman, Robert M. & Smith, Abbie J., 2001. "Financial accounting information and corporate governance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-3), pages 237-333, December.
- Olivier Ramond & Jean-François Casta & Laurent Batsch, 2007. "Résultat et performance financière en normes IFRS : Quel est le contenu informatif du Comprehensive Income ?," Post-Print halshs-00165038, HAL.
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1981. "The Informational Role of Warranties and Private Disclosure about Product Quality," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 461-483, December.
- Street, Donna L. & Nichols, Nancy B. & Gray, Sidney J., 2000. "Assessing the Acceptability of International Accounting Standards in the US: An Empirical Study of the Materiality of US GAAP Reconciliations by Non-US Companies Complying with IASC Standards," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 27-63, 03.
- Rick Cuijpers & Willem Buijink, 2005. "Voluntary adoption of non-local GAAP in the European Union: A study of determinants and consequences," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 487-524.
- Christine A. Botosan, 2002. "A Re-examination of Disclosure Level and the Expected Cost of Equity Capital," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 21-40, 03.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1644 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prg:jnlefa:v:2010:y:2010:i:3:id:57:p:84-112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frantisek Sokolovsky)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.