Transition Economies: How Appropriate is the Size and Scope of Government?
This paper assesses changes in the size and scope of government in 24 transition economies. While these governments have reduced public expenditures in relation to GDP, and public employment as a share of population, some indicators suggest that the size remains high (eg, rising indebtedness, a heavy regulatory burden, arrears, and the prevalence of noncash transactions). At the same time, the scope of government activities – although evolving – has not necessarily become appropriate. This paper provides some recommendations for aligning the scope of government with the increasing market orientation of these economies. Comparative Economic Studies (2003) 45, 554–576. doi:10.1057/palgrave.ces.8100014
Volume (Year): 45 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/41294/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini, 1998.
"The Size and Scope of Government: Comparative Politics with Rational Politicians,"
NBER Working Papers
6848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1999. "The size and scope of government:: Comparative politics with rational politicians," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 699-735, April.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1998. "The size and scope of government: Comparative politics with rational politicians," Seminar Papers 658, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido, 1999. "The Size and Scope of Government: Comparative Politics With Rational Politicians," CEPR Discussion Papers 2051, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Persson, T. & Tabellini, G., 1998. "The Size and Scope of Government: Comparative Politics with Rational Politicians," Papers 658, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini, .
"Political Economics and Public Finance,"
149, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pal:compes:v:45:y:2003:i:4:p:554-576. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.