Devaluation and Cattle Market Integration in Burkina Faso
The aim of this paper is to highlight an aspect of devaluation that is generally ignored in the literature, namely its positive impact on the integration of domestic markets of tradable goods. The analysis applies to cattle markets in Burkina Faso where cattle is both a tradable and a capital good that can be held inter-temporally. We develop an exogenous switching regime regression model consistent with spatial and inter-temporal arbitrage conditions which categorise markets in two regimes: autarkic and integrated. When markets are autarkic, prices follow a random walk. Conversely, when two markets are integrated, their prices are closely correlated. The switching between the two regimes is driven by transaction costs which are supposed to be a function of the real effective exchange rate, among other variables. Devaluation is shown to have a negative impact on real transaction costs and thus to promote cattle market integration. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.jae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spiller, Pablo T & Huang, Cliff J, 1986. "On the Extent of the Market: Wholesale Gasoline in the Northeastern United States," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 131-45, December.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Piggott, Nicholas E., 1999.
"Spatial Market Integration In The Presence Of Threshold Effects,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21489, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Barry K. Goodwin & Nicholas E. Piggott, 2001. "Spatial Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effects," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 302-317.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Sexton, Richard & Carman, Hoy, 1991. "Market Integration, Efficiency of Arbitrage, and Imperfect Competition: Methodology and Application to U.S. Celery," Staff General Research Papers 1609, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ancey, V., 1998. "La hausse des prix du betail et l'economie de l'elevage au Burkina Faso," Papers (98)488, Laval - Centre Sahel.
- Bob Baulch, 1997. "Transfer Costs, Spatial Arbitrage, and Testing for Food Market Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 477-487.
- Jean-Paul Azam & Catherine Bonjean, 1995. "La formation du prix du riz : théorie et application au cas d'Antananarivo (Madagascar) ," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 46(4), pages 1145-1166.
- Pascale Motel-Combes, 1996. "Les déterminants de l'offre de bétail dans les pays sahéliens," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 47(5), pages 1103-1119.
- repec:cai:recosp:reco_p1996_47n5_1103 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christopher B. Barrett, 1996. "Market Analysis Methods: Are Our Enriched Toolkits Well Suited to Enlivened Markets?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 825-829.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gavian, Sarah, 1996. "The Spatial Integration of Livestock Markets in Niger," Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 5(3), pages 366-405, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:jafrec:v:14:y:2005:i:3:p:359-384. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.