Heterogeneous firms and homogenising standards in agri-food trade: the Polish meat case
A partial equilibrium trade model with heterogeneous firms is developed and applied to the issue of compliance with the EU food standards in Polish meat production. The model parameters are estimated using a nonlinear least squares method to match the observed patterns of trade. With asymmetrically distributed productivities homogenising standards tend to increase the concentration of production and exports among the more productive and larger firms. Simulation analysis shows the trade and market structure impacts of support programmes in the context of EU accession. The simulations also highlight the importance of the substitution elasticity between varieties and effects of productivity upgrades. Oxford University Press and Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics 2010; all rights reserved. For permissions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 36 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward J. Balistreri & Russell H. Hillberry & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2008.
"Structural Estimation and Solution of International Trade Models with Heterogeneous Firms,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
08/89, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Balistreri, Edward J. & Hillberry, Russell H. & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2011. "Structural estimation and solution of international trade models with heterogeneous firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 95-108, March.
- Russell H. Hillberry & Edward J. Balistreri & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2007. "Structural Estimation and Solution of International Trade Models with Heterogeneous Firms," DEGIT Conference Papers c012_038, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Edward J. Balistreri & Russell H. Hillberry & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2008. "Structural Estimation and Solution of International Trade Models with Heterogeneous Firms," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1056, The University of Melbourne.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bokusheva, Raushan & Buchenrieder, Gertrud, 2006. "Contributions to the 4th young scientists workshop on agricultural development in Central and Eastern Europe," IAMO Discussion Papers 98, Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO).
- Marie-Luise Rau & Frank van Tongeren, 2007. "Modeling differentiated quality standards in the agri-food sector: the case of meat trade in the enlarged EU," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 37(2-3), pages 305-315, 09.
- Chevassus-Lozza, Emmanuelle & Latouche, Karine & Majkovic, Darja, 2007. "How Much do Non-Tariff Measures Explain the Border Effect at Entry to the EU Market? The CEECs Agri-Food Exports to EU in the Pre-Accession Period," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9852, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:erevae:v:36:y:2009:i:4:p:479-505. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.